Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 1:02 PM

Short, but I like it.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 8:03 PM
Cory Trevor Leahy

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Is that the max height that zoning allows at this location?
No max height-- it's zoned CMX-4, only limit is Floor Area Ratio. This particular spot has a zoning overlay allowing 750 FAR but prohibits bonuses. http://library.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/Pennsylvania/philadelphia_pa/title14zoningandplanning/chapter14-500overlayzoningdistricts?f=templates$fn=default.htm$3.0$vid=amlegal:philadelphia_pa$anc=JD_14-516

Old Posted Aug 16, 2019, 2:39 PM

View from one of the upper floors of 3737 Market. Taken on Tuesday:

Old Posted Aug 16, 2019, 3:01 PM

Wexford, University City Science Center On Hunt For Tenants At Next UCity Square Building

https://www.bisnow.com/philadelphia/...-center-100381

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmj View Post
nice renders but is anything actually happening out there? Has the new street been constructed?
last i checked the road is in progress and 1 maybe 2 of the buildings are under construction
progress people were making progress

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisforreal View Post
View from one of the upper floors of 3737 Market. Taken on Tuesday:

cant wait to see all the buildings and open spaces when this is done it looks amazing

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 1:52 PM

Street lights were being installed yesterday when I went by.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 2:07 PM

I'm... mixed about the street. On one hand, Philadelphia has characteristically narrow streets, so this should fit right in. On the other hand, Philadelphia has characteristically narrow streets, which in some cases is one of its weak suits.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 2:38 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
I'm... mixed about the street. On one hand, Philadelphia has characteristically narrow streets, so this should fit right in. On the other hand, Philadelphia has characteristically narrow streets, which in some cases is one of its weak suits.
So what do you think are the benefits of a wider street grid (i.e., 2 or 3 lanes in each direction)?

Philly has wider streets like on 38th Street between Lancaster Ave all the way down to Va Medical Center. JFK Blvd is a wider street. Broad and Market Street too. The main thoroughfares are typically wider.

I prefer narrower streets from a pedestrian standpoint.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
So what do you think are the benefits of a wider street grid (i.e., 2 or 3 lanes in each direction)?

Philly has wider streets like on 38th Street between Lancaster Ave all the way down to Va Medical Center. JFK Blvd is a wider street. Broad and Market Street too. The main thoroughfares are typically wider.

I prefer narrower streets from a pedestrian standpoint.
I just feel like things can get claustrophobic, especially depending on how close to the street the building lies.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 2:49 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
I just feel like things can get claustrophobic, especially depending on how close to the street the building lies.
True, I think depending on the massing and height of a building, a solution would be setbacks of the building to help with that feeling of not being on top of you when you stand next to or near it.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 3:30 PM

I think they could of at least put a bike lane in. There is such a battle to create bike lanes on already tight streets. They had they opportunity to build a new street from scratch and they didn't put a bike lane in. Otherwise I have no problem with a two way street with one lane each.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 3:48 PM

Quote:
I love the narrow streets in Philly; especially as a pedestrian. Some of my favorite streets are the narrow ones in Washington sq west and society hill. I can get on board with a few wider streets as long a they serve a purpose, like including bike lanes (protected ones like the ones in Seattle) or light rail. I would definitely want them in the minority though and restrained to main thoroughfares.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitect13 View Post

cant wait to see all the buildings and open spaces when this is done it looks amazing
I still can't imagine what's going in here. This looks like a suburb in Tulsa. The sidewalks look inexplicably narrow and suburban - like the width of what you'd find in a mcmansion development. What's the deal with that? Will they widen them when the buildings start going in?

It just looks like way too much open space to develop in a weird, not super desirable location. Who wants to be the first tenant in this brownfield? Like, SYards i can visualize - there's an actual there there - in terms of location, density, TOD, and land-use. This feels like, "Hi, I'm in Delaware."

Am I crazy - or will this fill in super quickly?

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
I still can't imagine what's going in here. This looks like a suburb in Tulsa. The sidewalks look inexplicably narrow and suburban - like the width of what you'd find in a mcmansion development. What's the deal with that? Will they widen them when the buildings start going in?

It just looks like way too much open space to develop in a weird, not super desirable location. Who wants to be the first tenant in this brownfield? Like, SYards i can visualize - there's an actual there there - in terms of location, density, TOD, and land-use. This feels like, "Hi, I'm in Delaware."

I'm not sure I see that at all. The road is a little odd, but I definitely think this is going to feel like a big urban location. It's only a block off of Market and there are a number of large buildings around. The trolley's go through here and 34th St is only 3-4 blocks away. I'd hardly call this a brownfield in the traditional sense where there isn't much around the site, as uCity Square is pretty well connected to the urban fabric and there's a substantial amount of jobs and development nearby already. If it gets built as shown, I think this will be a very active spot. While SY is great in a lot of ways, I'd say uCity Square is a pretty attractive development spot in its own right.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 5:27 PM

Quote:

I think this is a very dense location and highly sought after based on all the development that's happening on Chestnut/Market. I think the photographer was in one of the several new high-rises that boarder the plot. Also penn Presbyterian is across the street. If the photo was in the other direction, you'd be able to feel it more. Google street view is from last November, and if I'm not mistaken there has been a little more development since then:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9594...!5m1!1e2?hl=en

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 5:27 PM

Quote:

A block off Market is Delaware? It does look odd without anything built outside of the initial buildings on Market (and with all the lots there - they're going away, right?), but Lancaster Ave directly north is growing. Market Street is always a draw. Does anyone think the neighborhood around this (Powelton) isn't taking off as well??

I think this is an odd angle, but there is a lot going on around this super block.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 8:27 PM

i cant wait for this to start vertical construction
although a 600+ft tower would fit in here to

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitect13 View Post
i cant wait for this to start vertical construction
although a 600+ft tower would fit in here to
I think that 600 ft is too much for the area. There are row homes right across the street.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2019, 3:37 AM

Quote:

Don't agree that this is in the middle of nowhere. But I agree that the street they created here is super weird. I previously criticized the fact that the sidewalk doesn't extend to the street and there will instead be a strip of presumably grass there like in the suburbs. People were quick to defend it though for reasons that weren't good enough for me to remember.

I also reiterate that it seems incredibly backwards to build this nice sidewalk and landscape it with trees, right before they hopefully will be undertaking major construction projects mere feet away. These sidewalks and trees will be destroyed by the construction process if construction projects elsewhere in the city are any indication, so this seems like a pretty incredible waste of time.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals