HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 4:43 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Still without a definite use, though, I imagine Cooley still uses it as overflow space and/or storage, though.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 6:53 AM

Thanks LMich

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
Still without a definite use, though, I imagine Cooley still uses it as overflow space and/or storage, though.
Any images/updates lately on anything?

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 3:02 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDENT View Post
Any images/updates lately on anything?
I was wondering the same thing. It has been pretty quiet. LMich - you alright out there? No activity in over 1 month is odd.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2019, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deja vu View Post
I was wondering the same thing. It has been pretty quiet. LMich - you alright out there? No activity in over 1 month is odd.
I noticed the low activity from him lately too. I just sent him a PM. I'm sure he's alright, but it does seem weird.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSky View Post
I noticed the low activity from him lately too. I just sent him a PM. I'm sure he's alright, but it does seem weird.
Any word? Hope LMich is doing OK.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2019, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Any word? Hope LMich is doing OK.
Nothing yet.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2019, 1:53 AM

He's been active on Skyscrapercity. Relax guys.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 1:37 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by uaarkson View Post
He's been active on Skyscrapercity. Relax guys.
Ah. I see that now too. Good to know that our (defacto) fearless leader is still out and about.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 11:00 PM
somewhere in-between

I'm visiting my folks on the east side, and detoured through Lansing on the way. Had a few minutes to walk around Lansing, and only enough time for a quick drive-through of East Lansing. It was a perfectly beautiful day for taking some photos, right before some rain rolled in. I know I missed a few things, but here's a couple shots of new construction, with some other views mixed in. The Grand River stretch in downtown East Lansing is remarkably transformed by the several high rises that have gone up.

First, Lansing -

Capitol infrastructure upgrade project

Boji Tower - mostly because it's beautiful, but it did look like some interior remodeling work was ongoing.

The Strand Theatre

Knapp's Building - it was converted to apartments a while ago.

Downtown scene along Washington Sq.

Lansing City Market, with the somewhat-recently completed Marketplace Apartments in the background.

I don't hate it as much in person. But I still thing it's uugggggggly!

Grand River Scene

Just a view of the Capitol, from the non-construction side.

I think this is formally called Metro Place. On the site of the demolished YMCA building, at the corner of Townsend and Lenawee.

Off to East Lansing, here's recently-completed 300 Grand. Another one that I didn't dislike as much in person.

Center City, which just dominates.

Urban Target drive-by. I wanted to go in (I think it's officially open to the public now). Pretty neat how it's nested right into the streetscape. Better than other similar Targets I've seen.

The Hub

The Graduate

That's it. I really wanted to take more time to capture these developments right, but I was on a time crunch, and I had my dog in the car, and he would not have been up for walking much more in the heat. Anyway, I was really impressed with how both Lansing proper and East Lansing are coming along.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 5:27 PM

DejaVu, thanks for posting. Downtown East Lansing will finally be respectable in fall of 2020.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 1:23 PM

This has been longest drought in info dumps I've seen on this board. Any updates from anyone? Is Lmich still a moderator?

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 12:39 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
This has been longest drought in info dumps I've seen on this board. Any updates from anyone? Is Lmich still a moderator?
LMich is still around - he's been actively posting on other sites like Skyscrapercity. I don't know why he's ditched this one recently. My guess is it's because there might be more activity / better discussion on other forums. Really, outside of Detroit-related discussion threads, the Michigan representation and interest on SSP is weak, especially without LMich.

But who knows? I have no idea who runs the show around here, who keeps the mods current and coordinated (if that's even a thing), who regulates how frequently a mod must log in, etc.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 1:59 PM

Thanks! I'll follow the Lansing thread on skyscrapercity. Looks like he is posting away there.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 10:46 PM

Farnum building is getting a new name and $20 million in renovations

Quote:
LANSING — The former Billie S. Farnum state Senate office building is slated to open to private-sector tenants by late 2020.

It's also getting a new name.

Developers with the Boji Group announced Tuesday that the Farnum building will be renamed "The Louie" in honor of Louie Boji, chair of the Lansing-based Boji Group.

The law firm Dickinson Wright will occupy two floors of the 10-story building, which is kitty-corner from the state Capitol. Additional tenants could include lobbying and public relations firms, developers said.

The Boji Group anticipates completing $20 million in renovations to the 60-year-old building by January 2021, but businesses could move into some floors of the building as early as September 2020, company representatives said.

The Michigan Economic Development Corporation approved a tax incentive plan for the project during a board meeting Tuesday.

"The Louie"? Really? That's the best they could come up with?

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 8:41 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSky View Post
"The Louie"? Really? That's the best they could come up with?
Haha. Almost as bad as "The Milton" in Battle Creek.

Just 2 quick drive-by's - Block 600 and Michigrain Distillery, spotted while heading to the adjacent Lansing Brewery.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deja vu View Post
Haha. Almost as bad as "The Milton" in Battle Creek.
At least The Milton has some historical value, as Milton was Battle Creek's first name. Louie is the first name of the developer, Louie Boji. Hell, if they named it The Louis I'd like it better. The Louie sounds more like a dive bar or donut shop than a class A office building. Meh.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 2:30 AM

I mean, the family has been in Lansing forever and invested millions of dollars into downtown properties. They'd be far from the first to name a building after themselves. Hell, the original name the Boji Tower was the Olds Town named after the financier.

The 55+ senior apartment building, Newman Lofts, opened up at Center City. This results in completion of everything but a few groundfloor retail build outs at the complex:

Outside deck (Landmark visible to the right):

https://twitter.com/CityofEL/status/1178706752700858369

https://twitter.com/HarborBayREA/sta...56346691489797

Albert Street:

https://twitter.com/CityofEL/status/1178774419008823297

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 2:30 AM

Former Lake Trust site proposed for new development with 160 apartments, commercial space

Quote:
LANSING – A $33 million project that will remake a block of downtown Lansing goes before the Lansing City Council on Monday.

Called the 500 Block Project, the mixed use development will start with renovation of the former Lake Trust Credit Union building at the corner of South Capitol Avenue and Lenawee Street and includes a second, new building at the corner of South Capitol and Hillsdale Street.

The total proposal includes 160 residential units and nearly 27,000 square feet of office or commercial space, according to a news release.
Quote:
The renovation of the former Lake Trust headquarters at 501 S. Capitol Ave. is slated to begin in November, with completion estimated by fall 2021. Construction of the new mixed-use building is slated to begin in September 2020 and be finished in spring 2022.
Quote:
The Lake Trust building will be converted into a mixed-use structure with 23,461 square feet of office/commercial space and 44 multifamily apartments on four floors.

The new building includes 116 residential units and 3,500 square feet of commercial space.
The second phase is still tenative, but would take up the other half of the block fronting South Washington Square, downtown's main street.

Another old Lansing School District property is being reused:

Genesee Street School to reopen as apartments

Quote:
Developer Mike Markey shared plans for units as small as 280 square feet for tidy efficiency living to as large as 754 square feet for a spacious loft on the top floor.

The 1912 school building is listed on the National Park Service’s National Register of Historic Places. The listing helps preserve the old school as one of the last remaining examples from prominent local architect Edwyn A. Boyd, who designed many of Lansing’s public buildings between 1890 and 1940.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 2:31 AM

$250 million Red Cedar project to break ground on hotels

Quote:
Lansing-based Continental/Ferguson LLC will break ground next month on infrastructure for two hotels in the Red Cedar development project near SkyVue apartments, according to a release from the developers.

The construction for the hotels is slated to begin next summer and is expected to be finished by 2022. The cost of the entire Red Cedar development project, which will include the hotels, a student living complex and a senior living complex, is estimated to exceed $250 million.

The project was approved in April.

Hyatt House and AC by Marriott will share a common check-in area, housekeeping staff, and will function in many ways as one hotel with two brand names under the management of North Carolina-based Concord Hospitality.
They really need to consider all of the surface parking, though, given the environment. It honestly doesn't make sense given the public transit fronting the project, and given that most of the residents will be either seniors or college students.

An update on the renovation of the old Oliver Towers senior building into market rate housing:

https://twitter.com/WielandBuilds/st...95829797392384

A new rendering:

Not a fan of the architecture they chose to do on this one, but I'm just happy to see a building that's been abandoned for almost 20 years just two blocks north of the Capitol coming onto the tax rolls.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest