HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
You have every right to be nervous. I see three red flags:

1. proposed development with a value not in line with other private developments in this city.
2. planned commencement of construction within 24 months is basically a developer's way of saying "we're watching the market and if it holds up we will start".
3. a table full of ideas. It's like they sat down in a conference room, everyone had an opinion on what to build, and the guy in charge said "fine let's just do them all".
4th red flag: a lot of media coverage that seems designed to drum up interest that doesn't presently exist.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 4:31 AM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
This gives me horrible 2007 vibes.

I know nobody is anticipating a recession like 2008 and neither do I plus I think we all agree economically Phoenix and Arizona are in a much healthier place than before 2008 ...but when these projects become so big and grandiose I begin to get a little nervous
I was going to post about this last night. Thank you for reminding me. True North going into Garfield is also giving me 2007 vibes. Jonathan Vento was principal of Grace Communities and very much overextended through all the shady capital provided through Mortgages Ltd and Corus. He has one project coming off the ground, a half dozen others in the works. This just doesn’t seem what real real estate developers actually do his size. Remember Pinsonneault?

If he thinks the capital is available to do what he wants to do and go into a neighborhood that doesn’t have Downtown’s easy zoning something is wrong. I have been skeptical of him for whatever reason and it almost seems like he has learned nothing from a decade ago.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 7:01 AM

I dont know if we got a good look of the residences going in the willow neighborhood in the lot at 1st ave and Cambridge. This sign is off 1st ave, I hope the orient the homes to be part of the neighborhood and not blocked off and only accesible behind the offices along central.

[IMG][/IMG]

It thought they would be towns but they actually seem more like skinny carriage homes

Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 1:26 PM

Quote:
The city is learning from prior failed rfp’s
Speaking of which... is the second central station proposal now dead as well?? My god not a single RFP ever breaks ground in this city!!

Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 2:34 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
Speaking of which... is the second central station proposal now dead as well?? My god not a single RFP ever breaks ground in this city!!
No it's not dead. It's not even supposed to start until late 2019 at the earliest.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news...oenix-11272517

The developer has until December to reach an agreement with the city and until mid-April 2021 to break ground. RFP's don't move fast.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 5:31 PM

Quote:
I dont know if we got a good look of the residences going in the willow neighborhood in the lot at 1st ave and Cambridge. This sign is off 1st ave, I hope the orient the homes to be part of the neighborhood and not blocked off and only accesible behind the offices along central.

It thought they would be towns but they actually seem more like skinny carriage homes
Pretty sure this one, if I remember right, is going to be gated.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2019, 12:03 AM
BANNED

Quote:

[IMG][/IMG]

The actual lots are smaller than this photo.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2019, 7:10 PM
Modulator

Not sure if anyone has noticed the garage getting painted with murals, but here's more on it. Get out your paint brushes!

Quote:
Giant Peacock Mural Going Up in Roosevelt Row — You Can Help Paint It

LYNN TRIMBLE | AUGUST 1, 2019 | 6:27AM

Kayla Newnam is nearing completion of a giant peacock mural in Roosevelt Row, and she’s inviting community members to help her paint it on Saturday, August 3.

The mural is located on the parking garage for the 1001 North Central Avenue building owned by True North Studio, which is headed by real estate developer Jonathon Vento. Newnam is the public art curator for True North, as well as an artist in residence.

True North paid $15.25 million for the building. It's situated on the northeast corner of Roosevelt Street and Central Avenue, adjacent to a light rail station where Newnam previously created a temporary mural for Valley Metro Light Rail.

True North owns several properties in Roosevelt Row, and has several projects planned for the area that’s been called one of the nation’s top arts districts. They include working with the Santa Fe-based arts and entertainment company Meow Wolf to create its first combined hotel and arts space.

The peacock mural was designed to “break up the monotony of a typical parking garage by adding a sense of fun,” according to the online event notice that invites community members to help with painting between 7 and 10 a.m. on Saturday, August 3.

The peacock is 26 feet tall and 40 feet wide, but the mural also includes other elements. Newnam expects to finish the project by August 16. The title is Not Another Bird Mural in Phoenix.

Roosevelt Row is already home to several bird murals. Brian Boner painted a massive flock of birds for The Garden mural on the west side of the monOrchid building in early 2016. Later that year, Lauren Lee's Three Birds in Flight mural was installed on the west side of an apartment complex just east of monOrchid.

Organizers are providing the paint and paintbrushes, as well as refreshments. They’re asking people to register online before attending, and come prepared with a hat, sunglasses, sunscreen, and clothes that can get covered in paint.

Turns out, Newnam has additional artwork in the area, which True North is calling the Roosevelt Arts District. She’s also painted a mural around part of the perimeter for the Roosevelt Growhouse, an urban garden that’s leasing land from Vento on Sixth Street south of Garfield Street.

Although her new mural will have a significant visual impact on the area, it’s entirely possible it won’t be a permanent addition to the Evans Churchill neighborhood that’s home to Roosevelt Row.

In March, True North announced plans to create a Roosevelt Land Yacht Club by wrapping the garage with a steel structure to create affordable artist housing using vintage travel trailers.

How people receive the new mural may depend in part on how they perceive the rampant changes taking place in Roosevelt Row.

The mural is “meant to bring joy and inspire that new pep in your step as you conquer the rest of your day with positivity,” according to True North’s invitation to Saturday’s event.

Odds are, some will see the giant peacock as a symbol of preening and putting show before substance in a part of downtown Phoenix they fear losing to the forces of gentrification.
Source: https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/arts...trict-11336286

Old Posted Aug 1, 2019, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
Not sure if anyone has noticed the garage getting painted with murals, but here's more on it. Get out your paint brushes!

Source: https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/arts...trict-11336286
I was there yesterday and noticed, also I think EnHance is getting a mural, seems like the Ro2 thing is starting to move in other areas not that the hotel is done.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2019, 9:15 PM

With so much on True North’s plate, I’m starting to wonder if they’ve spread themselves thin. I see work being done on the Ten-O-One building interior, Knipe House, of course the Cambria and adjacent house, but I haven’t seen any action for Punch Bowl Social (which is supposed to open this fall, but it increasingly seems that won’t be the case) or the Brother’s Pub, which is the building directly south of Sazerac.

Both places had liquor permits that passed back in May but little to no movement has followed on either site since then. Any one have any ideas?

Old Posted Aug 1, 2019, 9:19 PM

Punch Bowl Social has had workers in there every day.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2019, 9:26 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Correct. They have been working mainly on the interior. I'm not sure how much will be done on the exterior.

As for the rest of True North, it's a massive amount of work that I think they will complete in steps. Probably after Cambria is done, they will start the Knipe House and adjacent office building.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2019, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Every time I walk by there, it’s been silent. Maybe it’s the times I pass by and perhaps they’re only focused on interior demolition or what not, but good to hear then that they are moving forward. I’m very excited for this project.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 6:45 AM
METRO: Encanto

Quote:

Willo

16 detached homes will face Virginia and Cambridge. 12 attached homes will be in the interior. Vehicular access via sliding gates will be from 1st Ave for all homes.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 8:12 PM

I was at the meeting for the South Convention Center yesterday, and someone from the city said that a demo permit was issued yesterday for portions of Collier's that need to be demoed for the tower to be built.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classical in Phoenix View Post
I was at the meeting for the South Convention Center yesterday, and someone from the city said that a demo permit was issued yesterday for portions of Collier's that need to be demoed for the tower to be built.
It would be great to see that corner finally go, If we could just get Barrister (I know long shot) going before the next recession that would be fantastic.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 9:34 PM

I just returned from two weeks in Osaka and my first thought when coming back to Phoenix was "where are all the buildings?"

But I did just notice some of the buildings are, in fact, missing. Directly south of Metrowest's apartments on 1st Avenue and Roosevelt there's a demoed building with a fence around it. This may have been discussed already but does anyone know what's happening there?

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 9:48 PM

Quote:
I just returned from two weeks in Osaka and my first thought when coming back to Phoenix was "where are all the buildings?"
You cant even start with Japan they on average live in densities only found in some NYC neighborhoods.

"Osaka-Kobe-Kyoto has a population density of 13,700 per square mile"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...lation_density

Some some NY, San Fracisco and Boston neighborhoods

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 9:50 PM

Interestingly Osaka wasn't even on the list of densest cities when I googled. It never truly feels dense either, just very busy. Umeda Station is one of the world's busiest train stations and it shows, but Japanese cities don't feel dense, really.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest