HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airhero View Post
The convention center hotel is in the wrong place. Should be to the left of the us bank building.
It should be to the left and behind the US Bank building. The location is closer to where the APS project will go. I think that it was moved north only to show the 2 buildings on block 67.

As Blah_Amazing mentioned, these plus the infill will change the overall feel of the city. 2nd East is going to be a lot different in the next few years as well.

Even with this change, there is a good chance that 2027 will have as much of a dramatic shift from this angle:

Carl's Jr.
Block 67 Phase 2
APS
Cascade
2nd East 1st South CCR Residential tower
1 to 2 more CCRI Commercial towers

What is great is to know that this wouldn't include the Salt development building just north of North Temple and 5th West, Paper box redevelopment and any project south of 3rd South (Held, Patrinely, 4th and State, etc.), and UTAs new HQ building at the Central Station.

Hear's to the coming new SLC Skyline.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC PopPunk View Post
Downtown Magazine provided a rendering of how the skyline will look by 2022.
https://imgur.com/a/65a7Phy

More information can be found in their online issue
Thanks for sharing. I love that magazine.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 2:56 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

Tower 8: 06/05/19

The tunnel is now closed. This is kind of interesting. It looks like they dug down next to the glass building and found an old cement pad with a drainage grill on it.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 11:48 AM

Ajiuo, Thanks again for the continued great updates on Tower 8. Very much appreciated.

Last edited by delts145; Jun 6, 2019 at 12:01 PM.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 12:35 PM

Global study says Salt Lake City is a rare place where traffic congestion is decreasing as population booms

Lee Davidson - The Salt Lake Tribune - https://www.sltrib.com/news/politics...udy-says-salt/

A new global study about traffic congestion says the Salt Lake City metro area is one of the few places in North America making significant improvement, and it could serve as a model for others.

“We’ve been pleased to uncover some positive developments in cities like Portland, Oregon, and Salt Lake City, which might serve as examples for other cities,” said Nick Cohn, senior traffic expert for TomTom, a Netherlands-based navigation software company.

It just released its annual TomTom Traffic Index with statistics about congestion in 403 cities across 56 countries, gleaned from travelers who use its navigation systems.

It found that congestion is getting worse or is stable in 75% of the cities it studied worldwide.

Among the 93 large North American cities or metro areas that it evaluated, 17 saw congestion drop last year — and the Salt Lake City area had the second-best decrease, even amid its rapid population growth.

TomTom figures Salt Lake City area drivers spend an extra 17% of their driving time stuck in traffic, down from 19% the previous year.

The 2 percentage point drop was tied with New Haven, Conn., for second-best in North America, behind only the 3 percentage point drop in Portland, Ore.

The study says Salt Lake City, Portland and New Haven improved for similar reasons: sophisticated traffic light optimization, expanded bike lanes and rental possibilities, and better transit options.

“It’s a big accomplishment with all the growth you’ve been having to have a slight decrease” annually in congestion, Cohn said in a telephone interview. “There are a lot of good things happening to at least handle the growth.”

For example, he praises work by the Utah Department of Transportation that developed a first-in-the-nation system to better coordinate signals throughout the area — better allowing groups of vehicles to move together through lights that switch green just at the right moments. It became a hot topic at national conventions and drew visits from officials in other states hoping to copy it.

“Almost all of the signals are connected" in one system, he noted. "There’s been a lot of innovative work optimizing the signals so that wait times are really reduced and the whole system is really working together as much as possible. So I think that’s certainly had an effect in Salt Lake.”

“Cycling facilities have been getting better. It’s hard to prove that that actually immediately reduces traffic congestion," Cohn said. But in cities where congestion is decreasing, “it’s basically where there are options for the public to make trips in different ways.”

He also notes that in recent years, the Utah Transit Authority expanded its TRAX light rail and FrontRunner commuter rail systems. Salt Lake City also is using its taxes to contract with UTA to increase bus system offerings beginning in August — again adding more options to reduce congestion and pollution.

The study liked some UDOT innovations seeking to handle congestion, making note of its recent “flex lanes” on 5400 South between Redwood Road and Bangerter Highway. They accommodate heavy rush-hour traffic by reversing the direction of some lanes during the day.

“The Salt Lake area, but also Utah in general, has been really innovative for a number of things relating to traffic,” Cohn said.

For the record, Los Angeles had the worst traffic congestion in the United States — with drivers adding 41% extra travel time to commutes while stuck in traffic. The other most congested U.S. cities were New York City (36%); San Francisco (34%); San Jose, Calif. (32%); and Seattle (31%).

Worldwide, the worst congestion was in Mumbai, India (65%); Bogota, Colombia (63%); and 58% each in Lima, Peru, New Delhi, India, and Moscow, Russia.

Ralf-Peter Schaefer, TomTom vice president of traffic information, said, “Globally, traffic congestion is rising. And that’s both good and bad news. It’s good because traffic increases often indicate a strong economy, but the flip side is drivers wasting time sitting in traffic, not to mention the huge environmental impact.”

He said his company and its products allow drivers to make smarter choices in planning routes and avoiding congestion.

“We’re working towards a future where vehicles are electric, shared and autonomous so that our future really is free of congestion and emissions,” Schaefer said. “We have the technology to make this future happen, but it takes a collaborative effort.”

Last edited by delts145; Jun 22, 2019 at 2:04 PM.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 6:41 PM

The large Marmalade housing project had its official ground breaking today:

https://www.abc4.com/news/salt-lake-...block-project/

Quote:
SALT LAKE CITY (ABC4 News) – A ceremonial groundbreaking was held Wednesday evening for a new mixed-use development project in the West Capitol Hill neighborhood.

Members of the Salt Lake City Council were on-hand for the Harvest at Marmalade presentation.

The new development will comprise of three mixed-used building with 252 apartments, 12 office units and 2,400 square feet of commercial space.

Harvest is the third piece of the four-part Marmalade Block Development. The first, the Marmalade Branch of the Salt Lake City Public Library was completed in 2016, and the second, the Grove at Marmalade Townhomes completed in fall 2018.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 7:41 PM

I don't remember this being posted previously but here is a design for one of the other bidders for the CCH.

https://www.aiaga.org/design-award/s...ention-center/

They don't go into detail about the bidder, just the project itself.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 9:56 PM

That's pretty cool.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 10:00 PM
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
I don't remember this being posted previously but here is a design for one of the other bidders for the CCH.

https://www.aiaga.org/design-award/s...ention-center/

They don't go into detail about the bidder, just the project itself.
Wow lots of forumers would be very angry if we ended up with something so short (looks like 13-14 stories). I like the design a lot though. Would be nice to see something similar to that design and height in the "Station Center" area.

EDIT: It’s more like 25 stories

Last edited by airhero; Jun 7, 2019 at 3:38 AM. Reason: 13-14 stories estimate way off

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
The large Marmalade housing project had its official ground breaking today:

https://www.abc4.com/news/salt-lake-...block-project/
Thanks for sharing.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 1:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airhero View Post
Wow lots of forumers would be very angry if we ended up with something so short (looks like 13-14 stories). I like the design a lot though. Would be nice to see something similar to that design and height in the "Station Center" area.
Each pod is two stories. So this looks to be more along the lines of 25 total stories. At first glance I didn't like the way the design plays with scale. But on second thought, in context next to the rest of the city, I think this design would add variety and interest. I like the counter-intuitive look, and the low-relief, lyrical composition created by the pods.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 3:37 AM
Engineer

It appears you’re right! I didn’t stop to think how they would fit 700 rooms in 14 stories. I should’ve looked more closely. That’s a funky design then. Makes me like it even more.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 4:51 AM

It's a nice design. But, in my opinion, there are two things that factor in to why the other one won: 1) The other one relates much better to the Salt Palace. 2) They made a gaff when referencing the local religions name, by omitting "Jesus Christ" and just saying "Church of Latter Day Saints". Anybody who is LDS in the governing body overseeing this, would quickly recognize this. Anyways, like I said, it's just my opinion.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 5:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
It's a nice design. But, in my opinion, there are two things that factor in to why the other one won: 1) The other one relates much better to the Salt Palace. 2) They made a gaff when referencing the local religions name, by omitting "Jesus Christ" and just saying "Church of Latter Day Saints". Anybody who is LDS in the governing body overseeing this, would quickly recognize this. Anyways, like I said, it's just my opinion.
I think that was just the AIA who made that mistake. That article isn't their proposal.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 6:43 AM

I love that design. I don't necessarily think it's better than what we got, but I would love to see a building like that somewhere downtown.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 6:57 AM

Quote:
Thanks for sharing.

Building Salt Lake posted a great article about it as well:
https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/gro...pment-project/

I think it looks like a fantastic design.

It also shows the development advantages of breaking up these RDA projects into separate parcels and how that can help accelerate development. I think there was discussion a while back about how these big block RDA zones take way too long to come together because the city looks for single developers for huge lots and there's not many developers that can pull that off.

"A contract for the site was previously awarded to Howa Development, an agreement terminated by the city in 2010 after the housing crash. The RDA turned away from seeking a master developer and instead created five parcels on the site to be developed separately."

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 3:25 PM

Harvest at Marmalade rendering, from the southwest. Courtesy ClearWater Homes.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 8:13 PM

Salt Lake needs something like 400 Folsom, or the "Avery" in San Fran. Kinda boxy, but with cool cutouts. Carl's Jr site, the Zephyr site, anywhere. Maybe they could transplant it like the old Oddfellows building. It could happen? Someone put that in the pic above....perhaps.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
I love that design. I don't necessarily think it's better than what we got, but I would love to see a building like that somewhere downtown.
Ditto to that!

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 8:44 PM
They all float down here

Quote:
2) They made a gaff when referencing the local religions name, by omitting "Jesus Christ" and just saying "Church of Latter Day Saints". Anybody who is LDS in the governing body overseeing this, would quickly recognize this. Anyways, like I said, it's just my opinion.
lmao if that had any impact on why this one wasn't selected, we're a pathetic fucking city.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West