HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 12:10 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

They could afford it, but the MTA is also extremely incompetent. Really more of an administration issue.

I'd like to see most of the current stock replaced with the R188 series. I believe Kawasaki makes them. Bombardier is also suppose to supply many new cars that will replace an older stock.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 12:21 AM
Transport Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by M II A II R II K View Post
NYC subways slowly upgrading from 1930s-era technology

Read More: http://bigstory.ap.org/article/37199...era-technology

This is much more involved, if you're interested in the subject.

It's honestly the most important thing the MTA needs to accomplish, and their timeframe for completing this is entirely too slow. More than rolling stock, track replacement and signaling/communications upgrades will go a long way in making the system more efficient and reliable.

Then again, I'm kind of impressed that they've reach the [semi] state of good repair that they have, given how little funding they receive from Albany/the City; it's clear they won't be able to finance much more of these improvements....

Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 5:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
They could afford it, but the MTA is also extremely incompetent. Really more of an administration issue.

I'd like to see most of the current stock replaced with the R188 series. I believe Kawasaki makes them. Bombardier is also suppose to supply many new cars that will replace an older stock.
Dude, so much currency moving through NYC and so little of it being put into repairing and updating the transit system. Sad.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 5:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post
This is much more involved, if you're interested in the subject.

It's honestly the most important thing the MTA needs to accomplish, and their timeframe for completing this is entirely too slow. More than rolling stock, track replacement and signaling/communications upgrades will go a long way in making the system more efficient and reliable.

Then again, I'm kind of impressed that they've reach the [semi] state of good repair that they have, given how little funding they receive from Albany/the City; it's clear they won't be able to finance much more of these improvements....
They should probably focus on making it safer while they're at it. Installing more camera systems, having more cops out on patrol and just making it an altogether more transparent system. I feel somewhat secure on the subway because it is crowded often and I take MMA (mixed martial arts) but there are doubtless possibilities of situations where weapons are involved. And not everyone is me, there are lots of old helpless folk out there who need a safer system.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 5:28 AM

And while we're on this subject I noticed a lot of the old Buses are still in use. You'd think they would try to increase the use of the more fuel efficient/less pollutant ones! But I am noticing buses that look like they are from the 80s on certain lines. pathetic.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2015, 4:40 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Jackson: N.J. lawmakers present a united front for new rail tunnel

Quote:
With both houses of Congress about to be controlled by Republicans, whose hard-liners denounce expensive federal projects as wasteful pork and have banned lawmakers from earmarking funds for pet projects, a bipartisan delegation from New Jersey is gearing up to win support for a new rail tunnel under the Hudson River.

Both Sen. Bob Menendez, a Democrat, and Rep. Rodney Frelinghuysen, a Republican, said they are hopeful they can get a commitment at least to start Amtrak’s Gateway project when Congress takes up a multiyear transportation financing bill next spring.

Frelinghuysen, of Harding, said he thought the chances of some success are “pretty good.” Menendez, of Paramus, said he was “cautiously optimistic.”

“I’m not saying it’ll be the whole kit and caboodle … but once we are committed to the project, then we have a better chance to ensure its totality,” Menendez said.

Rail access to New York City has taken on a new urgency following Amtrak’s revelation last year that the existing two-track tunnel, built 104 years ago, will fail within 20 years because of damage from Superstorm Sandy flooding. Before then, delays will become common for Amtrak and NJ Transit, which uses Amtrak’s Hudson tunnel, because of periodic closures to stabilize it.

Gateway calls for a new two-track tunnel under the river and other construction, including new or rebuilt bridges in the Meadowlands, to provide four tracks between Newark and New York City. The next few months will be critical in determining whether the project moves off the drawing board, because Congress faces a May deadline for a new transportation bill.

Governor Christie won praise from fiscal conservatives, and criticism from many planners and commuters, more than four years ago when he gave up a $3 billion federal funding commitment by halting NJ Transit’s construction of a new tunnel, known as Access to the Region’s Core, or ARC. At the same time, he has said he supports a new tunnel, under the right conditions.

“The governor is open to a plan that is well-engineered but also fair and equitable to New Jersey, with costs shared among all benefiting jurisdictions,” said Steve Schapiro, spokes­man for the New Jersey Department of Transportation.

[...]
================================
http://www.northjersey.com/news/jack...86037?page=all

Old Posted Jan 14, 2015, 5:53 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I guess this could go here since I don't think we have a thread dedicated to JFK.
=============================================

Quote:
JFK to Offer New Port for Traveling Beasts

ARK Development LLC has signed a 30-year lease with the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey to develop a $48 million animal handling facility, which will provide medical services and temporary accommodations for thoroughbred racehorses, livestock and exotic and common pets that are traveling through the airport.

The 178,000-square-foot property will be the world’s only privately owned airport animal handling facility and is scheduled to open in the first quarter of 2016. It is expected to create more than 180 jobs and generate $108 million in revenue for the Port Authority over the 30-year lease.

It will be built at JFK’s Cargo Building 78, which has been vacant for nearly 10 years, according to the Port Authority. The center also includes 14.4 acres of surrounding open space for planes.

The lease is a culmination of more than three years of negotiations and research, a process including government agencies, private and public financing and designers specializing in work for animals, said John Cuticelli, Jr, chairman of Racebrook Capital Advisors LLC, the parent company of ARK Development.

“This process has been looked at by many different people in many different ways, but no one’s ever gotten around to doing it. To bring the public and private enterprises together—that is what has taken three years,” said Dr. Aaron Perl, managing director and general counsel at Racebrook.

Consolidated Aviation Services, an air cargo ground handler, is subleasing about half of the facility and handling non-animal cargo in the building. Paradise 4 Paws, a pet service center for cats and dogs, also is opening a 20,000-square-foot facility in the building.

[...]
==================================
http://www.wsj.com/articles/whats-th...est-1421028098

Old Posted Jan 21, 2015, 2:20 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

finally an airlink train to laguardia? per nytimes:

Cuomo Wants Elevated Train Link Built to Ill-Served La Guardia Airport

Travelers to La Guardia Airport in Queens must go by car or bus. Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo described the situation as “inexcusable.”

KARSTEN MORAN FOR THE NEW YORK TIMES
By MICHAEL M. GRYNBAUM
JANUARY 20, 2015

It is a struggle known to generations of weary air travelers: the traffic-choked, anxiety-laden trip to La Guardia Airport, heartbeats and taxi meters rising in unison.

That bumper-to-bumper experience could soon be coming to an end. Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo of New York on Tuesday proposed the construction of an elevated AirTrain to La Guardia. It would be the first rail link to an airfield long lamented for its transit-starved location in Queens.

The proposed train would curve along the Grand Central Parkway for one and a half miles before connecting with the No. 7 subway line and the Long Island Rail Road at an expanded terminal in Queens, alongside Citi Field and the National Tennis Center.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
finally an airlink train to laguardia
This is the most stupid proposal from the governor yet. AirTrain going west to Willets point? Who is gonna use it? Unless you're in Flushing it will take longer to get to LaGuardia on this AirTrain then using existing bus route...

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 10:16 PM

Going East* to Willets Pt.

I agree that it makes little sense. Sure it connects to the 7 and the LIRR, but both of those lines are branches by that point. In order for anyone else to get there, they'll have to change somewhere like Woodside, plus the LIRR doesn't run regular trains to Willets Pt nor is the old station properly suited for anything more than summer baseball crowds (that isn't to say it can't be... it has a second unused platform).

They really should if anything consider the oft discussed N train extension. That's the only route that makes a lick of sense.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2015, 3:10 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

Why can't the MTA at least paint the walls of the most high-profile subway stops? Is it that hard to paint a wall in the city with the developed world's wealthiest residents? Levy a surtax or something.

Seriously 1940s-era peeling paint, falling off into the tracks at 23rd street, 34th street etc etc.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2015, 5:31 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
Why can't the MTA at least paint the walls of the most high-profile subway stops?
What, and diminish that 'old world' New York character?…

Old Posted Jan 25, 2015, 5:55 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

^^ maybe they should start graffiti-tagging the cars again to make it more authentic. That's the only thing missing.

Baltimore's subway is literally nicer that the MTA. Philadelphia's clean, efficient system is not even comparable.

Also, spending more time in NYC after being away for quite a while, it's shocking to ride the F/M/D/B trains again and note the orange/beige, wood-panelled glory...no updates, no new cars in 14 years. Meanwhile $100 MM apartments are being sold on 57th street. What gives?

At least the A/C/E and 4/5/6 are new...

The capital budget must be nonexistent, everything going to maintenance/O&M.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2015, 6:20 PM
Show me the blueprints

Albany + MTA administrative incompetence = suck

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jan 25, 2015, 8:29 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

At least they nailed that rat Sheldon Silver.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2015, 9:11 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumz0rz View Post
Going East* to Willets Pt.

I agree that it makes little sense. Sure it connects to the 7 and the LIRR, but both of those lines are branches by that point. In order for anyone else to get there, they'll have to change somewhere like Woodside, plus the LIRR doesn't run regular trains to Willets Pt nor is the old station properly suited for anything more than summer baseball crowds (that isn't to say it can't be... it has a second unused platform).

They really should if anything consider the oft discussed N train extension. That's the only route that makes a lick of sense.

thats has always been the ideal, but even if they are stuck on the airtrain due to funding/territorial pissing/etc. than an airtrain to the astoria ditmas subway stub would probably still be better. however, remember that N/Q route would tend to favor city dweller ridership over l.i. suburbanites, which clashes with the port authority's suburban base constituency, if they even have one at all.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2015, 10:57 PM

Rather run AirTrain over the GCP from a new transfer station at Astoria Blvd N/Q stop, to LGA terminals, and onward to Jamaica for connection to existing JFK AirTrain. Both the city and suburbs would get what they want.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2015, 12:01 AM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post
Rather run AirTrain over the GCP from a new transfer station at Astoria Blvd N/Q stop, to LGA terminals, and onward to Jamaica for connection to existing JFK AirTrain. Both the city and suburbs would get what they want.
If we're talking fantasy, why not extend the N along the same alignment.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2015, 12:33 AM
Show me the blueprints

^Yep. The required ramps and grade change would be dramatic, but possible.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jan 26, 2015, 3:07 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ it was always going to be an airtrain. territoriality aside, the pa has the $ and can pretty much do what it wants and the mta does not have the $ and its not a priority. or so they would say.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation