HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Dec 16, 2006, 3:46 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrabbit View Post
The lobby reconfigure?
Yes, sorry, I wasn't clear. I thought the old lobby was the essence of urban chic. This new, dark wood-paneled thing is so tacky, suburban, and ignorant of the architecture in which it resides. I realize the old lobby was a bit worn, but it felt like a real bank, you know? And really classy too.

At least they kind of kept the feeling of that great floating ceiling, with the lights that seem to go on endlessly...

Old Posted Dec 16, 2006, 8:38 PM
THAT Guy

http://chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/m...searchType=all

Deal near for Solo Cup land
McCaffery, Forest City vie for S. Side property

By Alby Gallun

City officials are close to picking a developer for part of the former South Works steel mill site on the far South Side — a decision that would be a major step forward for the long-awaited redevelopment project.

The city is evaluating plans for the 118-acre tract originally slated for a 1,000-job Solo Cup Co. factory. The finalists are two developers: Chicago's McCaffery Interests Inc., which leads a joint venture that controls the northern part of the South Works site, and Forest City Enterprises Inc., a Cleveland developer.

Both developers propose a mix of residential and retail space. Solo, which owns the property, and city officials have been mulling over what to do with it since Solo scrapped its factory plans last year. "We have received proposals from both McCaffery and Forest City," a Solo spokeswoman says.

A spokeswoman for the city's Department of Planning and Development did not respond to calls.

U.S. Steel Corp. shut down the mill in 1992. The vacant site covers an area larger than the Loop, making its redevelopment one of the city's largest real estate projects in years.

McCaffery, whose projects include the Loop's Hotel Burnham and Nike Town on North Michigan Avenue, would be a logical buyer for the Solo parcel, considering McCaffery leads a joint venture that controls about 275 acres to the north. The venture plans to build as many as 7,000 housing units and 600,000 square feet of retail space, an effort that could take 10 to 20 years.

Forest City, meanwhile, is one of the area's busiest developers. A public company with $1.2 billion in annual revenue, Forest City is a partner in the Central Station project in the South Loop, is revamping the old G. D. Searle & Co. campus in Skokie and has drawn up plans for shopping centers in New Lenox and Sugar Grove.

A spokeswoman says Forest City specializes in complex mixed-use developments like the one at South Works. "The challenge . . . is right up Forest City's alley," she says.

Whichever developer ends up with the Solo site, it's crucial that the plans are integrated with those for the northern parcel, says McCaffery President Daniel McCaffery. "It's going to have to be brought along in a comprehensive manner," he says.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2006, 11:47 PM

^ I hope they plan some lakefront highrises for the solo cup site, those would have some pretty awesome views. Transit accessibility on the western end of that site is decent with the South Chicago line

Old Posted Dec 18, 2006, 2:09 AM
Show me the blueprints

^But would be even better with the Gray Line.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Dec 18, 2006, 3:03 AM
The City

My new transit wishlist:

1) Circle Line
2) Some sort of subway or light rail connecting Union Station with River North/Streeterville/Navy Pier and other L lines nearby
3) Convert the Metra Electric into a CTA Gray Line

Santa, please hurry down the chimney with those. Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Dec 20, 2006, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ And I'll never get over the "Broadway in Chicago" moniker. All of this shit screams "if you can't afford New York, come to Chicago".
Although it is not unique to Chicago. Broadway in Chicago is a product of Nederlander, which also controls besides several NYC theatres, Broadway in LA, Broadway San Diego, Broadway in Knoxville--and Clear Channel (based in San Antonio).

Not to distract from "general development" but I think names are important in development and city identity.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2006, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
My new transit wishlist:
3) Convert the Metra Electric into a CTA Gray Line
I would have some reservations about CTA taking over management of transit from Metra!

Old Posted Dec 20, 2006, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleAvella View Post
I would have some reservations about CTA taking over management of transit from Metra!
Yeah that's a definite no. The last thing we need is constant derailments, slow zones, and 40 or so incompetent cta personnel hanging around stations doing nothing on a regular basis.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2006, 5:44 PM
THAT Guy

State and Illinois - yes I think there is retail TUP

Weiss Architecture

Old Posted Dec 29, 2006, 6:06 PM
Registered

^ What an insane waste of a prime development site!!!?

Old Posted Dec 29, 2006, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
State and Illinois - yes I think there is retail TUP

Weiss Architecture
Looks like something out of the south loop. A few exra floors wouldn't hurt.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2006, 11:16 PM
Betch

Any word on what's going in the Carson's building?

Old Posted Dec 31, 2006, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukecuj View Post
In Chicago, the largest gain was recorded on the Near West Side, where 1,765 homes changed hands, up from 1,342 a year earlier, an increase of 423 transactions (or 31.5 percent).

Chicago's Near South Side neighborhood saw sales increase by 315 transactions (a gain of 36.8 percent over the prior year).
That's excellent news. Though you have to wonder how much more improvement the Near West Side would have seen if the NIMBYs weren't so successful in keeping tall buildings away. Or, dare I say, did the forced constraints in supply help keep the demand higher?

Old Posted Dec 31, 2006, 5:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottebaum View Post
Any word on what's going in the Carson's building?
Well, as you know, it is owned by Joseph Freed, the same group that now controls the retail at 108 North State. So, the only thing that anybody knows right now, is that it will include whatever retail concept is complementary to 108 North State.

This scenario is more desirable than the property's current mission, in my book.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2006, 5:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
the property's current mission
meaning, housing a Carson's? why, because Carson's is downscale? (i actually think that first floor currently is a bit dank for a splendid state street space.)

Old Posted Dec 31, 2006, 5:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_b View Post
That's excellent news. Though you have to wonder how much more improvement the Near West Side would have seen if the NIMBYs weren't so successful in keeping tall buildings away. Or, dare I say, did the forced constraints in supply help keep the demand higher?
I have a strong suspicion this "Near West Side" is including the ultra-hot Wicker Park/Ukrainian Village/Noble Square area.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2006, 7:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLFuego View Post
I have a strong suspicion this "Near West Side" is including the ultra-hot Wicker Park/Ukrainian Village/Noble Square area.
I'm nearly positive those neighborhoods are in the West Town Community Area 24 rather than the Near West Side Comminuty Area 28.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2006, 3:51 PM

Quote:
I'm nearly positive those neighborhoods are in the West Town Community Area 24 rather than the Near West Side Comminuty Area 28.
Correct, but the article didn't say it was referring to community areas, and I'll believe my own eyes before I believe a newspaper article.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2006, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLFuego View Post
Correct, but the article didn't say it was referring to community areas, and I'll believe my own eyes before I believe a newspaper article.

Good point

I just went in an recreated their research (took me about 45 seconds...) and I came up with 1764 sales in the Near West Side #28 for the first 9 months of 2006. So I think they are actually talking about the Community Areas themselves.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2006, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Good point

I just went in an recreated their research (took me about 45 seconds...) and I came up with 1764 sales in the Near West Side #28 for the first 9 months of 2006. So I think they are actually talking about the Community Areas themselves.
Interesting. What's the total sales for the West Town community area then? I know the West Town community area is demolishing all others in terms of demo and construction permits issued...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development