HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 10:12 PM

Lining Western or Ashland with 5 stories+ buildings will help the feel of those wider streets a lot. I know it's already happening to some extent, but making it as-of-right is great news.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 10:34 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
The proposed upzoning map is out and it's massive! Pretty much everyone lot on Western from Granville to Leland, with a few lots between Lunt and Pratt, will become B-3. Including TOD bonus FAR, this allows for developments to get up to FAR 4 without needing to submit a rezoning application! They'll also release the planned upzoning for the 47th Ward next month.

40th Ward rezoning map: https://www.chicago.gov/content/dam/...g_proposed.pdf
Wow. This effectively kills the auto dealership zone around Western/Peterson. That would have been unthinkable a decade or two ago, since car dealerships throw off so much sales tax revenue. The existing dealerships can remain, but if they close then nobody else can move in. Northside Toyota an exception since they have a PD.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithakas View Post
Lining Western or Ashland with 5 stories+ buildings will help the feel of those wider streets a lot. I know it's already happening to some extent, but making it as-of-right is great news.
As someone who lives near Western and Fullerton, I think what could really transform these corridors is true, dedicated BRT......

If you were to combine the upzoning with a central median BRT lane that's protected - Jesus that would be amazing...... One can dream.

Old Posted May 18, 2024, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
This city is fucking pathetic.

Meanwhile it looks like the demolition of six square blocks of Alfred Alschuler designed lofts in Lawndale for a fucking Amazon distribution center 1/3 the size and two blocks from the Pink Line is a done deal:

And our brilliant Mayor is providing resources and cover for this Alderman instead of blocking this travesty.
Isn't the Alderman opposed? Maybe I am being too optimistic, but sounds like there may be some meaningful effort to stop this coming from a variety of angles that people can get behind

Commission members delayed at least until June a vote on whether to approve demolishing several century-old Southwest Side warehouses considered significant by historic preservationists. Developer IDI Logistics bought the buildings in the 4100 block of West Ogden Avenue in North Lawndale, including several by noted architect Alfred Alschuler, and wants to replace them with a single, $44 million modern distribution facility.

“We feel this proposal is an erasure of that history,” said Noah Jones, a Brighton Park resident and great-great grandson of the original owner. “It would carve up this neighborhood with a soulless warehouse.”

The buildings sit within the district of 24th Ward Ald. Michael Rodriguez, who Wednesday sent a letter to Chicago Plan Commission Chair Laura Flores, stating he opposes the project because community members do not want to see a facility for transportation, distribution or logistics on the site.

“Since IDI has not been able to come to an agreement for any community benefits, nor has IDI listened to the North Lawndale Economic Advisory Committee in developing their plan for the site, I must state my opposition to this planned development and urge the commission to reject this proposal,” he wrote.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/plan-comm...234800139.html

Old Posted May 19, 2024, 12:43 AM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
car dealerships throw off so much sales tax revenue
I believe Illinois charges and credits sales tax on new autos to the municipality where the purchaser lives, so we don't have the poaching and auto-mall frenzy seen in some other states.

In addition, nearly all the marques now insist on the dealer building an entirely new building with the latest branding and design every 15 years or so, so it would be hard for a dealer to stay on a Western Avenue site very long.

Old Posted May 20, 2024, 2:51 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKChaz View Post
Isn't the Alderman opposed? Maybe I am being too optimistic, but sounds like there may be some meaningful effort to stop this coming from a variety of angles that people can get behind

Commission members delayed at least until June a vote on whether to approve demolishing several century-old Southwest Side warehouses considered significant by historic preservationists. Developer IDI Logistics bought the buildings in the 4100 block of West Ogden Avenue in North Lawndale, including several by noted architect Alfred Alschuler, and wants to replace them with a single, $44 million modern distribution facility.
That article is misleading - the developer doesn't need city approval to tear down the buildings, they only need approval for the new warehouse (and to vacate a section of Kedvale Ave).

It sounds like they are willing to tear down the historic warehouses soon and leave a big vacant site. Once the site is a big empty eyesore, then they have some leverage to get the rest of it approved. Other large empty sites in Lawndale have turned into nasty battles with illegal dumping, etc so nobody wants a big empty lot.

The only way to stop the demolition would be to nominate them as landmarks or a landmark district.

Last edited by ardecila; May 20, 2024 at 3:40 PM.

Old Posted May 20, 2024, 3:43 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
I believe Illinois charges and credits sales tax on new autos to the municipality where the purchaser lives, so we don't have the poaching and auto-mall frenzy seen in some other states.

In addition, nearly all the marques now insist on the dealer building an entirely new building with the latest branding and design every 15 years or so, so it would be hard for a dealer to stay on a Western Avenue site very long.
Yeah it does seem like some industry changes have made this older format of car lot less feasible, at least for new car sales.

Old Posted May 20, 2024, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Cabrini-Green redevelopment at Oak & Larabee, 78 units. I'm kinda in love with this design

https://twitter.com/ChicagoDPD/statu...61548785488190
This is across the street from my boyfriend's, will be exciting watching it go up

Old Posted May 21, 2024, 12:20 PM

For those interested in the '24 Q1 commercial real estate report, here's a link.

Not very surprising reading of the outperformance of the Fulton Market, but what is surprising (to me at least), is the relative outperformance of River North. In my opinion, River North could use one or two more Class A office buildings. I don't believe there's any even proposed right now...

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 12:34 PM
Dalron J

Is anyone aware of or able to speak on this ordinance that has passed I believe. An ordinance to allow extra-dense downtown housing.

Link: [https://www.chicagobusiness.com/poli...housing-moves]
Archive.ph Link: [https://archive.ph/MsrMN]
“Buildings are deeply emotive structures which form our psyche. People think they're just things they maneuver through, but the makeup of a person is influenced by the nature of spaces.” - David Adjaye

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 1:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh777 View Post
For those interested in the '24 Q1 commercial real estate report, here's a link.

Not very surprising reading of the outperformance of the Fulton Market, but what is surprising (to me at least), is the relative outperformance of River North. In my opinion, River North could use one or two more Class A office buildings. I don't believe there's any even proposed right now...
It's nice how much of 300 N Lasalle already got absorbed -- that building must have been half empty.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
If you were to combine the upzoning with a central median BRT lane that's protected - Jesus that would be amazing...... One can dream.
We may not have to dream any longer. Ald. Vasquez and 16 other alders are calling for the CTA and CDOT to secure funds for Western BRT in their wards. There's finally political support for BRT, the only question is if the CTA and CDOT will actually prioritize it: https://x.com/Andrefor40th/status/1793314790451884065

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 6:33 PM

Quote:
We may not have to dream any longer. Ald. Vasquez and 16 other alders are calling for the CTA and CDOT to secure funds for Western BRT in their wards. There's finally political support for BRT, the only question is if the CTA and CDOT will actually prioritize it: https://x.com/Andrefor40th/status/1793314790451884065
Amazing - I would strongly want East-West BRT routes as well..... There's no chance we will ever get a CTA connector anytime soon, so this will be the next best solution we can actually implement.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 9:30 PM

Great news, although Western really needs proper rail at this point. Great example from Twitter (@wrhollin) of what's possible with just a few parking spots removed:

An easy slam dunk from Johnson's admin would be to sunset Dorval Carter into a role where he is solely responsible for the securing funds for these projects and hire a competent ops person to run things from here

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 7:58 PM

Haircut for 925 W Belmon (1 less floor, ten less units) and a redesign per Ald. Lawson in the 44th Ward newsletter

Last edited by pullmanman; May 23, 2024 at 8:01 PM. Reason: Fixing image link

Old Posted May 24, 2024, 1:36 PM

I think the redesign actually looks a bit better. Still not a stellar project.
It's like a discount Elevate Lincoln Park.

Old Posted May 24, 2024, 2:15 PM

Nice that this is happening: https://chicago.urbanize.city/post/p...33-n-kingsbury
Quote:
The Chicago Plan Commission has approved Sterling Bay’s proposed mixed-use development at 2033 N. Kingsbury. ...25-story tower will hold 355 residential units. The project’s unit mix will include 49 studios, 40 convertibles, 186 one-beds, 70 two-beds, and 10 three-beds...203 car parking spaces
Makes you wonder, though, what the long-term plan is for the whole Armitage/Racine/Clybourn/Cortland mess, though. It's not just the cars -- it's also horrible for busses or bikes going west from Lincoln Park to Bucktown. Would be nice to straighten out Armitage with bike lanes all the way out west.

Old Posted May 25, 2024, 2:30 AM

Quote:
The proposed upzoning map is out and it's massive! Pretty much everyone lot on Western from Granville to Leland, with a few lots between Lunt and Pratt, will become B-3. Including TOD bonus FAR, this allows for developments to get up to FAR 4 without needing to submit a rezoning application! They'll also release the planned upzoning for the 47th Ward next month.
The 47th Ward rezone of Western, from Lawrence to Addison, is also going to be B-3: https://www.chicago.gov/content/dam/...g_proposed.pdf

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 5:10 PM
Chicago

Mid-City Trust & Savings Bank Redevelopment - 801 W Madison

May 6, 2024

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 5:11 PM
Chicago

1700 S Wabash

May 23, 2024

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development