HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
Aren't these migrants just temporarily being housed in Chicago as they await an asylum hearing? I don't see why they should be counted in a city's population if they're temporary. Even if they're granted asylum, I imagine a good number of them would disperse to other parts of the country once they're able to. That's not intended to be a knock on Chicago, it's just that immigrants tend to move to where family or friends already are.
Most of the migrants are currently living in Chicago apartments by now with under the table jobs. Are those units supposed to be marked vacant when they are occupied?

You could also make the same argument for millions of American citizens who are living temporarily in major cities for seasonal jobs or education.

Aren’t college students temporarily being housed while they await graduation before they return to their hometowns? They get counted.

If a person is residing in a city at the time of enumeration, they should be counted. If they relocate, then surveys in the following years will track them.

Last edited by galleyfox; May 16, 2024 at 10:13 PM.

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Hm, I'm not sure about that. These aren't immigrants who have snuck into the country-- those illegal immigrants are protected in sanctuary cities. The migrants that have been bussed to cities around the country from the Texas border are asylum seekers, not illegal immigrants. They have to have an asylum hearing, and if they are not granted asylum, they're deported. It's my understanding a pretty high percentage of these asylum seekers are actually denied and sent back to their country of origin.
Yes, this is accurate.

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Yes, this is accurate.
Under regular circumstances asylum cases would on average take about 5-7 years to process.

The court of the Northern District and other Illinois courts are currently backlogged by about 250K cases. So I wouldn’t hold my breath on mass deportations any time this decade.

If it’s even being enforced in Illinois…

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Aren't these migrants just temporarily being housed in Chicago as they await an asylum hearing? I don't see why they should be counted in a city's population if they're temporary.
The Census estimates are supposed to be a imputed estimate of people residing in a jurisdiction in a point in time. So yes, the migrants should be counted, same as anyone else, if that's their residence, whether they're staying for 1 day or 100 years. College students count, prisoners count, etc.

And everyone is "temporary" in any jurisdiction. Everyone is eventually removed from the count/estimate, one way or the other.

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 11:57 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Hm, I'm not sure about that. These aren't immigrants who have snuck into the country-- those illegal immigrants are protected in sanctuary cities. The migrants that have been bussed to cities around the country from the Texas border are asylum seekers, not illegal immigrants. They have to have an asylum hearing, and if they are not granted asylum, they're deported. It's my understanding a pretty high percentage of these asylum seekers are actually denied and sent back to their country of origin.
uncle joe upped the fed loot again to process migrants, so it will go faster:

MARCH 11, 2024

The Budget includes a $1.9 billion (7 percent) base budget increase for U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) and Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), as well as funds to expand and improve the immigration courts, address the root causes of migration, and combat illicit fentanyl trafficking.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-...ration-reform/

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 12:01 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by north 42 View Post
Is the census bureau showing the city of Cleveland actually growing this year? Or is it just the feeling in the city right now?
around downtown and certain other neighborhoods are growing and immigrants are coming, but other neighborhoods continue bleeding. it seems to have stabilized to a wash. which of course is a vast improvement over past decades. good news is there are plenty of various jobs and also new homes and apts are being built on the old cleared urban praires.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Also really shocking and sad to see STL at 281,000. It's continued to shrink at a good clip while most other rust belt cities have more or less stabilized.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emprise du Lion View Post
I honestly wish the City of St. Louis had sued as well. We suffer from much of the same issues that Detroit has, especially in terms of demolition of long vacant properties hurting the estimates.

Right now the estimates have St. Louis' population loss accelerating, but this is in spite of there being more active water service accounts in the city now than 6 years ago, more housing and apartments going up, more jobs currently available across the city and metro, etc. The only way it can make sense to me as someone on the ground is if all of North City decided they were hitting the exit right now.

I guess we'll see in 2030.
Like Emprise said, I'm not buying it. The numbers and tone on the ground don't reflect the census estimates.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 2:31 AM

Estimates for California's 10 most populous cities:
  1. Los Angeles - 3,820,914 (-0.04%)*
  2. San Diego - 1,388,320 (+0.1%)
  3. San Jose - 969,655 (-0.2%)
  4. San Francisco - 808,988 (+0.2%)
  5. Fresno - 545,716 (+0.1%)
  6. Sacramento - 526,384 (+0.2%)
  7. Long Beach - 449,468 (-0.8%)
  8. Oakland - 436,504 (+0.4%)
  9. Bakersfield - 413,381 (+0.3%)
  10. Anaheim - 340,512 (-0.7%)

*Los Angeles' population is estimated to have dropped by 1,868 residents.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 3:13 AM

The City of Miami crossed the 450k mark. A slight increase from 449k to 455,924.

Miami-Dade County's population came in at 2,686,867. Still down 15k from its 2020 population of 2,701,776 but a 12k gain on 2022.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 3:24 AM

Almost every municipality in Miami-Dade County is still down in population from 2020 except for the City of Miami and Doral.

Miami Beach continues to lose population. It had 91k people in 2000 and is now down to 79k. Residents continue to be pushed out in favor of 2nd home owners and AirBnB rentals.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 12:05 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by galleyfox View Post
Under regular circumstances asylum cases would on average take about 5-7 years to process.

The court of the Northern District and other Illinois courts are currently backlogged by about 250K cases. So I wouldn’t hold my breath on mass deportations any time this decade.

I got an old college friend up in Minneapolis who is an immigration lawyer and recently doing a lot of contract work for the feds on this issue. When he's spoken about it, it's been in terms of "oh shit man, what an unholy clusterfuck, we're doing our best, but there's only so much we can do".

Needless to say, lots of these migrants are gonna fall through the legal cracks, especially in hardcore sanctuary cities like Chicago, where there are already many tens of thousands of undocumented immigrants to blend into the woodwork with.

And yeah, regardless of any of that, whether they're here for 18 months or 18 years, they should be counted, as they are people living in Chicago, and in lots of other major US cities too.

Last edited by Steely Dan; May 17, 2024 at 12:15 PM.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
around downtown and certain other neighborhoods are growing and immigrants are coming, but other neighborhoods continue bleeding. it seems to have stabilized to a wash. which of course is a vast improvement over past decades. good news is there are plenty of various jobs and also new homes and apts are being built on the old cleared urban praires.
Excellent, sounds just like what is happening in Detroit. Hopefully these trends continue to accelerate over the next few years.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 2:14 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by north 42 View Post
Excellent, sounds just like what is happening in Detroit. Hopefully these trends continue to accelerate over the next few years.
i saw even more good news is poverty is dropping steadily — at the end of 2022 cleveland was 111K, down from 114K in 2019 and ~130K in 2015. MSA-wide, with 50K available jobs (according to Greater Cleveland Partnership) and 38K unemployment (according to the Census Bureau) its looking up for sure.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 2:22 PM

I wonder too if those estimates have counted the Ukrainian refugees coming into Chicago. All my life the Ukrainian village never felt particularly Ukrainian probably given that they were a more mature immigrant group but I was by there recently and ive actually never seen or heard that many Ukrainian speaking people there.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 2:23 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ yeah there are a lot of ukrainian refugees in cleveland now too. not surprizing there either given the old ties. i think they are mostly flocking around parma.

Quote:

just flee to the cleve lol — whether or not they stay, immigrants should come to cleveland. its the fastest place to get thru the process to gain citizenship —

Cleveland is the No. 1 city for immigrants to become U.S. citizens, study says

https://www.cleveland.com/news/2019/...tudy-says.html

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 3:42 PM

Quote:

A lot of the backlog is being driven by immigration courts not being given the resources to move faster. Congress can speed that up if they wanted, but sometimes problems are better for politicians than solutions.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 4:49 PM

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 4:59 PM

Newark: 304,960 +408
Jersey City: 291,657 +2,885

Jersey City is coming for your #1 spot, Newark.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 5:01 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ WHOA!

JC got a supertall proposed?

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 5:04 PM

I haven't even heard of many of these cities. Celina? Fulshear? Georgetown? Sounds like AI-derived places.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions