HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 1, 2024, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
These places are the best. Made especially good by the cheezy signage. I love it. Long live the casse-croûte!

Perfect food for a summer's day.

Old Posted May 1, 2024, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
This place near Granby was heaven.

Granby by Axel Drainville, on Flickr

Our good friend AX that used to be here!
Was surprised to see the stop sign was "STOP". Typically, it's "ARRET"; though "STOP" is found in some West Island municipalities. Took a random look on Google Maps at other intersections in Granby and it is "STOP". Granby seems to be an outlier for Francophone municipalities in Quebec.

Old Posted May 1, 2024, 4:16 PM

The best of the best .... Chez Mag ... Île d'Orléans...near Québec City

Last edited by Pellimo; May 1, 2024 at 4:32 PM.

Old Posted May 1, 2024, 4:30 PM

That looks absolutely delicious!

Old Posted May 1, 2024, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikesBikes View Post
That looks absolutely delicious!
It is.....

Old Posted May 1, 2024, 10:02 PM

Old Posted May 1, 2024, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post
It's no exit except for bicycles and no entry except for bicycles and horse-drawn carriages, right? The "except bicycles" sign is under the "no exit" sign, while the "except bicycles and horse drawn carriages sign" is under the "no entry" sign.
Ah yes, good observation, I totally missed that, lol. I guess horse drawn carriages can access to drop off and pick up passengers (it’s by a dead end road beside the hotel) but only bikes can exit and get on the bike path.

Also I’ll have an order of the lobster poutine please. Although I’m not a fan of soggy fries, but those big squeaky cheese curds look great. I guess I can just get a side order of plain fries then. What are we looking at - $10 a small poutine and $20 for the lobster?

Old Posted May 4, 2024, 12:49 PM
Riki beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrAnKs View Post
Alors quels sont les endroits où on va à Rimouski pour manger une bonne poutine?
Mes tops recommendations seraient: Cantine de la Gare, Cantine le Rallye, Cantine Ste-Odile, Chef Fred Poutinerie, Restaurant Retro 50, Restaurant Bon Voyage entre autre.

Chef Fred Poutinerie à été élu ''Roi de la poutine au Québec'' en 2022 et 2023 par Poutine Spots, il y en a un à Matane également.

Old Posted May 6, 2024, 4:19 AM
Ham-burgher

Sorry/not sorry about posting many Hamilton Harbour pics, but the local newspaper has a "shipping news" item every week during the shipping season on the Great Lakes, accompanied by what is often a great photo.

This one is from the lesser-photographed eastern portion of the port, some built on landfill along the western flank of the "Beach Strip" sand bar that protects the harbour and some on fill along the bay's southern shore that used to be marshland (which was largely used by steel makers Stelco and Dofasco)... this image faces south-eastward, and the QEW is on the left.

Source

Last edited by ScreamingViking; May 6, 2024 at 4:51 AM.

Old Posted May 7, 2024, 1:52 AM

ScreamingViking - Very cool looking industrial mixed with greenery and water! The upper portion of the pic looks swampy and marshy, almost expect to see crocodiles swimming in there

Victoria pictures - starting off with the Oak Bay Marina and a few of the houses in the area:

April 26, 2024 - Oak Bay Marina by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

2420 Windsor Road - April 26 2024 by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

2426 Windsor Road - April 26 2024 by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

1147 Newport Avenue - Mount Baker Court, built 1926. April 26, 2024. by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Back downtown, or the edge of downtown and St. Ann’s Academy (backside view) and then just moving over about few metres and focusing across St. Ann’s orchard and towards the St. Joseph Apartment (formerly hospital).

St. Ann’s Academy - May 1, 2024 by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

840 Humboldt Street - St Joseph's Hospital (now Apartments) - May 1, 2024 by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Moving over to upper Fort Street:

1124 Fort Street (Trebatha) built 1887. May 2, 2024. by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

And lastly enjoying the sunset at Gonzales Beach:

Gonzales Beach - May 2, 2024. 7:26 p.m. by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Gonzales Beach - May 2, 2024. 7:42 p.m. by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Gonzales Beach - May 2, 2024. 7:31 p.m. by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Old Posted May 7, 2024, 3:24 AM

I'm an absolute fan of St. Ann’s Academy and St. Joseph Apartment.

Overall, Victoria has that ''New Zealand'' feel to me.

Old Posted May 7, 2024, 4:10 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomer View Post
Very cool looking industrial mixed with greenery and water! The upper portion of the pic looks swampy and marshy, almost expect to see crocodiles swimming in there
Victoria is very lush. I can see how the "New Zealand feel" applies. I've yet to visit but it's on my list of places to see.

That marsh was "created" several years ago to help reclaim a part of the harbour where a waterway (Red Hill Creek) empties. That creek is also where effluent from the city's main sewage treatment plant is discharged. A lot of money has been spent upgrading that facility in recent years, so hopefully the discharged water is much cleaner and the issue of untreated wastewater being dumped into the harbour during rainstorms gets smaller... Hamilton still has issues due to its ancient sewer system, of which many older parts are still combined storm/sanitary. Massive holding tanks were built decades ago to help alleviate the issue, but they haven't been a complete solution (e.g., at one in the west end, a gate was left open for several years letting raw sewage spill into a sensitive wetland).

But if the Great Lakes get any warmer, we could see a change in the local fauna with more 'reptilian' creatures lurking about. Especially due to idiots releasing "pets" there

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 10:08 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

A lovely day here.

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 1:55 AM

T.O.

Great frame from top to bottom.

Rascacielo

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 3:21 AM
Ham-burgher

Nice. Seeing the kids playing is heartwarming.

And evidently a *very* lovely day in St. John's!

Old Posted May 19, 2024, 4:43 AM

Toronto playing fields - nice! I have a couple pics from last week to share coming up on the same topic.

As always, love your St. John’s pics SHH. Lots of colour and a ton of interesting detail, reminds me of the Richard Scary books, if you’re old enough to remember those.

Old Posted May 21, 2024, 2:17 AM

Pictures from Toronto

It was a solo trip as there was no interest from family or friends in going unfortunately. People who just look at me blankly when I said Toronto, said “Why?” or “I’d rather go somewhere else”. Maybe that’s partly being on Vancouver Island and it’s out of sight and mind, also folks originally from Toronto don’t have much good to say about the city (often the case for former residents of any city). People say they’d rather go to Montreal, Quebec, New York, Miami, Hawaii, Japan, Thailand, anywhere in Europe.

One friend who knows I’m an urban fan said I would both love and hate Toronto.

Well, I’m happy to report I had an excellent holiday and I’m planning a return as early as next year. There was nothing I hated, loved most things. Ok, one thing I disliked - the constant OVERLY LONG CAR HONKING! Wtf is that all about.. like laying on the horn for 5 to 15 seconds, holy road rage. At that point I’m just about to jump in and take down the horn blower regardless of whose fault it is.

An observation that is more to do with a Toronto being a very large city is that downtown is still car dominated, not a super friendly pedestrian experience. Love to see more streets fully pedestrianized. There also seemed to be cigarette smoke everywhere, again, no doubt it part due to the greater concentration of people, but feels like more people smoke in TO than out on the west coast. On the other hand I saw hardly any fentanyl zombies and the homeless situation didn’t seem too bad. I did witness one guy get violent and start smashing street signs and furniture and try to attack a by-passer on Bloor street who punched him back and cut him open good. I was right behind all this, and decided to duck into the restaurant for cover - you just don’t know if these guys are carrying knives or not. But you know, that could have been any city Canada to be honest. Toronto felt safe to walk alone.

Plenty of pictures, sorry for some of the more typical tourist ones, but hey, this is a skyscraper forum and these will be the freshest views from the CN Tower, etc, lol.

I stayed in the Annex neighbourhood - had several meals at Scottybons - excellent jerk chicken!

Scotty Bons - 402 Bloor Street W. May 10, 2024 by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

500 Block Bloor Street West - May 11, 2024 by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

300 Bloor Street West - United Church Redevelopment, originally built 1886. May 14, 2024 by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

I found people really friendly, more than happy to help with directions or just randomly chat. Like the guy from the Cameroon I talked to for half an hour by the U of T to the homeless guy on the streetcar with whom I had a good chat with about Las Vegas and the effects of meth versus crack. Service was generally good, and people are earnest and down to earth. Maybe I was expecting more of the New York, Boston or Philadelphia stereotypical attitude.

University of Toronto - May 9, 2024 by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Toronto - May 8, 2024. 1:39 p.m. by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Kensington was interesting, but came in a bit under my expectations. Also falling into this category were The Well (it’s cold in many ways and missed the high mark it was aiming for) and The Distillery District. That was totally dead and felt disconnected from downtown.

Kensington Market, Toronto - May 9, 2024 by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Central Tech Stadium viewed from Bathurst Street - May 2024, Toronto by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

David French Lane - Toronto, May 13, 2024. by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

One of the highlights, if not THE highlight of my trip - if you know, you know. I was the only person out of 6 plus million people in attendance, and I made it out alive:

Reg Hartt’s CineForum - 463 Bathurst Street by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Another top highlight was the Dupont subway station, perfection:

Dupont Station, May 11, 2024 - opened January 28, 1978 by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Dupont Station - May 11, 2024 by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Dupont Station, May 11, 2024 - opened January 28, 1978 by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Dupont Subway Station - Mural Designed by James Sutherland by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

ANX at 316 Dupont Street, Toronto - May 11, 2024 by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Chaveta, 994 Bathurst Street - May 11, 2024 by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Steven’s Grocery - 990 Bathurst Street, May 11, 2024 by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Stanley’s Variety - 910 Bathurst Street, May 11, 2024 by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Casa Loma, Toronto - May 11, 2024 by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Alright, back downtown:

Wellesley and Young Intersection, Toronto. May 10, 2024 by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Ace Hotel Toronto - May 9, 2024 by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Green and Blue in Toronto - May 12, 2024 by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Minnesota Twins 5 - Blue Jays 1. May 12, 2024 by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

St. Lawrence Market - May 10, 2024. by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Union Station, TD Tower and Royal Bank Plaza - May 14, 2024. by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

CN Tower Reflection in Marsh & McLennan Building - May 9, 2024 by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

The Cathedral Church of St. James - May 10, 2024 by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Hockey Hall of Fame - May 10, 2024 by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Alrighty, at last the skyline shots:

CN Tower Selfie - May 9, 2024. by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

View From CN Tower - May 9, 2024 by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

View from CN Tower - May 9, 2024 by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

May 9, 2024 CN Tower Views from Space Deck at 1,465 ft (447 m) and SkyPod at 1,150 ft (351 m) by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

CN Tower Views - May 9, 2024 by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Now from the Toronto Islands, which was unexpectedly quiet. I was planning on getting lunch of Centre Island but a couple of the restaurants were closed for the season and the only the world’s saddest looking Pizza Pizza and Subway were open, and the Subway only sold cookies, drinks and chips.. wtf? I came across the same thing when I went to New Brunswick and PEI - parks and restaurants in May that are closed for the season. Unusual coming from Victoria where there are no seasons, things are open year round whether it’s gardens, golf courses, parks, tourists attractions, etc. Anyways, I would have stopped at this cute cafe if I would have known:

Runaway Cafe on Wards Island, Toronto. May 14, 2024 by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

View of downtown from Toronto Islands - May 14, 2024. by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

View of downtown from Toronto Islands - May 14, 2024 by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Toronto Waterfront - May 2024 by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Thanks for hanging in there if you’ve got this far - but to wrap things up the Most Fantabulous Street of All:

Zanzibar- Yonge Street by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Massey Tower and its 1905 Canadian Bank of Commerce base. by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

205 Yonge Street - former Bank of Toronto, built 1905 - architect E.J. Lennox. by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

300 Block of Yonge Street - May 9, 2024 by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

579 Yonge Street, Toronto. May 9, 2024 by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Yonge Street by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Yonge Street - May 14, 2024. by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Dineen Coffee - 140 Yonge Street, Toronto. May 14, 2024. by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Old Bank of Montreal - corner of Queen and Yonge Street, Toronto. by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Leña Restaurante - 176 Yonge Street, May 14, 2024 by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Old Posted May 21, 2024, 2:53 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomer View Post
Pictures from Toronto
That was really great Zoomer. Thank you.

I'm a semi-regular commuter to downtown Toronto, and it's easy for me to get caught up in the routine of that trip. So these kinds of photo sets that you've shared (and others too from time to time) are nice to see.

Old Posted May 21, 2024, 2:59 AM

/\ it’s easy to be complacent about a place you know well isn’t it. I also enjoy seeing my city through a visitor’s eyes, what stands out to them isn’t always what you expect! Thanks ScreamingViking

Old Posted May 21, 2024, 3:14 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Yes very cool pictures! Always nice when people can explore a new place. I don't generally find downtown pedestrian unfriendly, although there are exceptions such as around the Gardiner and Lakeshore Blvd.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada