HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 9:55 PM

SP Plus Corporation to Manage New On-Street Parking System for the City of Jackson, Mississippi

Quote:
CHICAGO, April 23, 2024 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- SP+® Corporation (SP+), (Nasdaq: SP) a best-in-class technology and operations management provider of mobility services for aviation, commercial, hospitality, and institutional clients throughout North America and Europe, today announces its strategic partnership with the City of Jackson, Mississippi, to modernize and enhance the efficiency of on-street parking with a completely new and innovative system.

Available this spring, on-street parking customers will be able to pay for parking using new kiosks located throughout the city, in addition to other payment methods, including text-to-pay with their phone, or via the parking.com app. SP+ Corporation will also assist the city with parking enforcement activities. These efforts will be streamlined by providing vehicles equipped with License Plate Recognition (LPR) technology to enforce expired meter parking and time-limited parking. SP+ will also provide Parking Ambassadors to assist in educating the public on how to use the new parking system, as well as to answer any questions.

SP+ and the City of Jackson collectively developed a customized program geared towards public safety and to support downtown commerce. The new system will allow for parking space turnover and availability, providing convenience and accessibility to everyone visiting the city.

“We are excited to announce the upgrade of our parking meter system in downtown Jackson,” said Chokwe Antar Lumumba, Mayor, City of Jackson. “This modernized system will result in greater parking space availability and convenience for residents and visitors to Jackson. We look forward to this rollout and informing residents of the details.”

"We're extremely thrilled to support the City of Jackson and bring this project to life,” said Jason Spoeth, Senior Vice President, Commercial Operations, SP+ Corporation. “We see this as part of a bigger picture - the continued revitalization of downtown (Jackson). We are providing the technology so residents and visitors will have flexible options in how they pay for parking."

The City of Jackson is the capital of Mississippi, and the most populous city in the state, with upwards of 430,000 residents.
https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/sp...123000567.html
More coverage about the news
Video Link

StateStreet Group takes over managing Walthall Lofts and The Courthouse in Jackson

Quote:
Approximately four years ago, Jackson native and property owner Amit Goel gave a tour of The Walthall Lofts and The Courthouse apartment communities to Frank Buchanan of the StateStreet Group.

Buchanan, vice president of Property Management of StateStreet Group, who was impressed with the views and the layout of the properties, told Goel at the time that if the need for a new management group ever surface to give him a call.

A couple of months ago, Goel, a St. Andrew's Episcopal School graduate who now lives in Houston, Texas, reached back out to Buchanan.

On Tuesday, StateStreet Group announced it has taken over the management of The Walthall Lofts and The Courthouse in the heart of Downtown Jackson.

StateStreet Group has developed or manages many properties in the Jackson area, including The Meridian apartment building as well as the Quarter House along Lakeland Drive in East Jackson.

The Walthall Lofts were redeveloped in 2020 into luxury apartments with amenities. Located at 225 East Capitol St., the eight-floor, 154-unit building has studio, loft and one bedroom options, in addition to pool, fitness and parking amenities.

The Courthouse, a historic building located next door to the Walthall Lofts, was first constructed in 1933 and served as the U.S. District Court building. The iconic Art Deco building has been renovated, and residents can choose one of 15 different floor plans in this building.

“We are thrilled to bring SSG’s exceptional management approach to these downtown properties," said Justin Peterson, president of StateStreet Group in a statement. "This partnership is in perfect alignment with our strategic goals for growth, excellence in service, and contributing to our community.”

Buchanan said Goel wants to use StateStreet Group's expertise to get more people living in The Walthall Lofts and The Courthouse and in the downtown area.

"You kind of have to see it to believe it when you are talking about those two properties," Buchanan told the Clarion Ledger. "Some of the views with the big windows are really amazing. I kept thinking when I toured it that if I were a young professional again, I would want to live here."

Buchanan said SSG hopes to use its connections through its other properties to be able to lure people downtown and fill the rest of the units that are not filled. He said he doesn't have exact numbers but that he estimates the two buildings are about 60% occupied at the moment.

"I think they thought that we would take great pride in managing this property and want to see the downtown area thrive," said Buchanan, whose StateStreet Group offices are just a couple of blocks away from The Walthall and Courthouse. "It's really a special opportunity."

He also said that he envisions more for the property on the ground floor.

"I can see maybe a restaurant group or coffee shop or even a small market type of place for that first floor," Buchanan said. "If both of those buildings are full that's a market of 250 to 300 people that can be served at any point and time, and with the growing number of people living in downtown Jackson, it just seems like a natural."

This good news for the downtown area comes on the heels of the announcement of the Pinnacle Building getting new ownership and a new management team, hoping to improve its 30% occupancy rate. The 192,000-square-foot, nine-story Class A office tower was previously owned by Hertz Investment Group. The lenders working with Hertz have now assumed ownership.
https://www.clarionledger.com/story/...t/73425627007/
Pearl and Richland residents rejoice: South Pearson Road Bridge now open

Quote:
PEARL, Miss. (WLBT) - If you live in Pearl or Richland, your drive to get across the two cities is no longer going to involve the possibility of a train slowing you down.

Monday afternoon, city leaders, as well as Mississippi Department of Transportation officials, unveiled a four-lane bridge that’s been described by many as “much needed.”

The $14 million bridge now takes drivers over the railroad tracks on South Pearson Road in Pearl and completely eliminates the chance for a train to stop you for several minutes.

“In order to better serve the community, we built this kind of bridge that connects the community while continuing to have the rail lines move through the city,” said Willie Simmons, Commissioner of MDOT.

Ground officially broke on the project back in 2017, but due to funding issues and construction limitations with the railroad below, construction didn’t officially begin until 2022.

The bridge now connects South Pearson Road and Highway 468, as well as several other roads as you head south towards Richland.

Since there aren’t many north-south corridors that flow from Pearl to Richland, Simmons believes the bridge will only speed up everyone’s day-to-day life in the area.

“So, if you are trying to get to work, whether you’re going to work in Jackson, or somewhere in Rankin County, or get your kid to a school, you’re more than likely to be held up by a train that’s coming through,” he said.

Mayor of Pearl, Jake Windham, says the project’s completion doesn’t mean there aren’t future plans for the surrounding area.

He says Phase 2 is designed to “mitigate roughly 1,000 acres of property and tie it into Highway 49.”

Highway 49 runs through Richland and ends near the Outlets of Mississippi shopping center in Pearl.

“For me personally, I would like to see like a certified industrial sight...and I would like to see that happen,” said Mayor Windham. “I’m not saying it’s happening, but that’s kind of what I’d like to see happen, and I could get behind.”
Mayor Windham says Phase 2 is already receiving funding, but any details about when or where the project will take place are yet to be revealed.
https://www.wlbt.com/2024/04/23/pear...idge-now-open/
More coverage of the news
Video Link

Economic Development Administration invests $2.1 million to support manufacturing and job growth in Coahoma County

Quote:
The Coahoma County Board of Supervisors has been granted $2.1 million by the federal government to support future economic development in the region.

U.S. Secretary of Commerce Gina Raimondo on Tuesday announced the Department’s Economic Development Administration (EDA) is awarding the funds for roadway and water infrastructure improvements to support manufacturing and job growth.

This grant will enhance the local boat manufacturing sector, creating jobs and opportunities in the area. The EDA’s investment will be matched with $2.5 million in state and local funds and is expected to create 56 jobs and generate $8.3 million in private investment, according to grantee estimates.

“This grant highlights the power of collaborative partnerships and shows our joint commitment to improving infrastructure and creating jobs in Clarksdale and the broader Mississippi Delta region,” Congressman Bennie Thompson, D-Miss., said. “Making real progress that offers valuable opportunities for our constituents is deeply satisfying, driving us towards building stronger, more successful communities.”

The project was made possible by the regional planning efforts led by the North Delta Planning and Development District. EDA funds NDPDD to bring together the public and private sectors to create an economic development roadmap to strengthen the regional economy, support private capital investment, and create jobs for those in the region.

This project is funded under the Disaster Relief Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2023, which provided EDA with $483 million in additional Economic Adjustment Assistance (EAA) Program funds for disaster relief and recovery for areas that received a major disaster declaration under the Robert T. Stafford Act as a result of Hurricanes Ian and Fiona, wildfires, flooding, and other natural disasters occurring in calendar years 2021 and 2022.
https://www.supertalk.fm/eda-invests...oahoma-county/
COUNCIL APPROVES SPECIAL USE PERMIT FOR GENERAL SPORTS BAR AND RESTAURANT IN BANNER HALL

Quote:
Jackson City Council members voiced concerns about a new restaurant/sports bar that wants to open in Banner Hall in Jackson but approved a use permit for the business on April 15.

The council approved granting Bradley Adair a conditional use permit for Suite 102B at 4465 I-55 North. The permit would allow for a general restaurant within a neighborhood shopping center within a C-2 (Limited) Commercial District and would have to be renewed annually.

The council held off on granting Brandi Carter a conditional use permit for a liquor store that would specialize in high-end, organic wines that she wants to open in Banner Hall.

The restaurant/sports bar named Rex’s Good Times would be located in some of the space formerly occupied by the Bridal Path on the first floor at the front of the building.

Doug Price, a commercial real estate broker and tenant in Banner Hall, said he has the task of leasing the space formerly occupied by the bridal shop.

Mag Ballew 240401

“We had a hard time finding tenants,” he said, explaining that it is a challenge because the former bridal shop space is about 4,400 square feet, has zero windows other than at the front and lacks visibility and natural light.

The plan was to divide the space into three separate spaces with each having its own entrance, he said. The liquor store would occupy about 1,100 square feet at the front of the building: Rex’s Good Time, the middle space; and an event venue, the rest of the space.

Rex’s Good Time would occupy about 1,400 square feet, serve “pizza, salad, basic bar food” and be open Tuesday through Saturday until 10 p.m. and perhaps later for big games, Price said.

St. Richard Catholic Church leaders initially opposed Rex’s Good Time, but Price said he met with them and they have withdrawn their opposition.

Virgi Lindsay, who represents Ward 7 on the council and is a St. Richard Catholic Church congregant, said she has not received any phone calls about the restaurant.

“I have a feeling if our priest did not like it, then I would know,” she said. “I have not gotten a single phone call. I feel pretty good about it.”

Price said the owners of Banner Hall believe in the city of Jackson and Banner Hall, which is a place where many people gather and do business daily and have carefully considered the types of businesses they want to locate there.

Kenny Stokes, who represents Ward 3, brought up the topic of how the I-55 Noth corridor needs to be shored up because there are numerous vacant buildings and there are homeless people on the streets.

Banner Hall already has security on site for 12 hours a day and spends about six-figures on security, he said, and would likely increase it after the new business opens, Price said.

Stokes urged leaders to carefully consider the implications of their actions when it came to the restaurant.

Branning Wealth 240419

“Would this hurt the area or help the area?” he said. “That’s what I’m concerned about.”

Stokes said what is needed is “something that’s going to lift up that area, not run it down.”

Vernon Hartley, who represents Ward 5 on the council, asked if there was a concentration of liquor stores in the area near Banner Hall, and the zoning administrator said there was not.

The council did not approve the use permit for the liquor store after Ashby Foote, who represents Ward 1, said he would like time to meet with Banner Hall business owners and leaders at St. Richard Catholic Church.

Price said the liquor store would not be one with a neon sign and it would sell high-end organic wine that one would savor with family and friends.
https://www.northsidesun.com/local-c...&e_sort_order=

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations