HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 4:55 PM
build awesome buildings

looks like a step was taken to approving the WSW historic nom:

https://www.instagram.com/p/C7Rxv5LRG6h/

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWhiteOut View Post
It's weird that they took points off for "being prone to natural disaster," which other than snow, I guess, isn't true at all
yes that was wild.
The area is 16th in the word in GDP (545B)!
We were dinged for air quality, with the exception of the wildfires last year, has improved nicely once the refinery shut down. I too would be curious to see the background data on that.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Fishtown View Post
This was announced when BioMerieux first signed the lease for the space over a year ago: https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...navy-yard.html

So I'd actually reframe and say that the Navy Yard is so devoid of new leasing and development activity (outside of the resi projects) that the PR team came up with a new way to package year-old information to make it sound like momentum when actually I don't think there's been a single commercial deal completed down there since Q1 2023. To be clear, it's a good thing for the Navy Yard specifically and Philadelphia generally, but I think the headwinds across biotech and life sciences remain very strong. Brandywine hasn't announced a single life sciences lease in either 3151 Market or 3025 JFK either.
Add to that the ongoing vacancy at the old GSK building going on 3 years(?). Maybe one day they wake up on that decision and commit as an anchor tenant at SY. Otherwise it might be a while for Brandywine to attract a LS tenant who is going to take 100k+ sq (which I assume is needed as an anchor?)

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
The QOL and environment is what hurts Philadelphia's ranking.

It will be interesting to follow the data and rankings in the coming years since this is the first release of this particular study.
It actually scores fairly well in QOL for an American city. It’s ranked better than NYC, LA and Chicago. Although, they factor in affordability so it kind of obscures it.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 9:38 PM

I guess everyone is different, but it definitely feels like urbanism, walkability, vibrancy (hard to measure), art/culture, and food are underrated in this ranking. I mean San Jose #3 (!!!) above Tokyo (!!!).

Sure they've got an insane amount of money flowing in SJ and good weather, but it's not a destination for anyone unless they just landed a lucrative tech job that happens to be based there.

Old Posted Yesterday, 12:36 AM

Quote:
It's weird that they took points off for "being prone to natural disaster," which other than snow, I guess, isn't true at all
The fact that Houston didn't get dinged for natural disaster is wild.

Old Posted Yesterday, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio5 View Post
The fact that Houston didn't get dinged for natural disaster is wild.
Yeah, the only natural disaster in Philly's recent history was last season's Eagles collapse.

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:24 AM

Quote:
It’s almost like this list, like most lists, is completely full of sh#t?

Old Posted Yesterday, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Duderino View Post
looks like a step was taken to approving the WSW historic nom:

https://www.instagram.com/p/C7Rxv5LRG6h/
A useless gesture when the Historic District continues to let buildings several centuries old be demolished because the owner purposefully damages the building and then cries "financial hardship".

Hell, you don't even have to hide it. Several buildings at Front and Chestnut were demolished illegally a few years back. The owner was sued by the PHC and forced to rebuild them. Guess what? It's still a parking lot (which he collects income on).

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishtown View Post
I guess everyone is different, but it definitely feels like urbanism, walkability, vibrancy (hard to measure), art/culture, and food are underrated in this ranking. I mean San Jose #3 (!!!) above Tokyo (!!!).

Sure they've got an insane amount of money flowing in SJ and good weather, but it's not a destination for anyone unless they just landed a lucrative tech job that happens to be based there.
Yeah I’m taking their QOL score with a grain of salt. And London was #292 compared with LA at #280 lol. Again, I’m guessing London got nicked for affordability. Although, San Jose is pretty pricy as well…

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
A useless gesture when the Historic District continues to let buildings several centuries old be demolished because the owner purposefully damages the building and then cries "financial hardship".

Hell, you don't even have to hide it. Several buildings at Front and Chestnut were demolished illegally a few years back. The owner was sued by the PHC and forced to rebuild them. Guess what? It's still a parking lot (which he collects income on).
Yeah it's a total disgrace. They're going to have one of the nicest parks in Philadelphia as their front yard (new Penn's Landing Park) and they'll get some absurd offer for the lot and be rewarded for being a scumlord while probably demolishing the last remaining building on that lot.

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post
Yeah I’m taking their QOL score with a grain of salt. And London was #292 compared with LA at #280 lol. Again, I’m guessing London got nicked for affordability. Although, San Jose is pretty pricy as well…
Without any real data provided this looks like highly subjective similar to the US News college rankings. Cool to be ranked high, although Philly sort of falls in order of US city size. Same for Portland.

I especially love Zurich getting #8 for QOL, and a key metric in that is stated as affordability. It's the 2nd most expensive city in the world! But then it ALSO gets a nod for a high income per person (well, duh). Tell us this ranking favors crazy rich cities without telling us it favors crazy rich cities.

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post

I’ll take it, but I agree that the financial hardship loophole needs to be tightened. I’m definitely going to show up the HC meeting if/when a development proposal is submitted for Front St AND the 1700 block of Walnut. Have a feeling developers will try to push something through that doesn’t incorporate a rebuild.

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:10 PM

200+ (affordable) Unit Building proposed at 52nd and Chestnut? NICE

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...ffordable.html

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post
I’ll take it, but I agree that the financial hardship loophole needs to be tightened. I’m definitely going to show up the HC meeting if/when a development proposal is submitted for Front St AND the 1700 block of Walnut. Have a feeling developers will try to push something through that doesn’t incorporate a rebuild.
The 3rd and Chestnut arson lot is a disgrace as well. I'm aware it wasn't a financial hardship but it is historic. There's not even a sidewalk, just a hole in the ground that no one can pass by, especially those with disabilities. Amanda Parisoh (who is wheelchair bound after being shot by a stray bullet in Olde Kensington a few years ago) has been advocating to the city to fix the sidewalk but they won't do anything. https://www.instagram.com/amandaparisoh/?hl=en

It's been 6 years!

https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...ld-city-block/

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:26 PM

Wow Septa opened the lower level of the BSL at NRG last night after the Phillies games? They ran express trains apparently from there. To my knowledge they haven't used this platform in 10+ years?

https://x.com/bicycleriiights/status...59073653895297

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:34 PM

The owner was getting some heat for the sidewalk - which requires you to walk into traffic to get around - and they put up a fake support system. People were complaining to Squilla who in turn might have said something. This was a good 2 months ago and there has been nothing since. If you look closely, you can see that this isn't connected to anything and wouldn't be how they reconstructed a sidewalk either. Why is it so easy to get away with this bull$hit in this town. It's a disgrace.

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
The owner was getting some heat for the sidewalk - which requires you to walk into traffic to get around - and they put up a fake support system. People were complaining to Squilla who in turn might have said something. This was a good 2 months ago and there has been nothing since. If you look closely, you can see that this isn't connected to anything and wouldn't be how they reconstructed a sidewalk either. Why is it so easy to get away with this bull$hit in this town. It's a disgrace.

Isn't the easy solution here just to but up some jersey barriers and asphalt ramp so you can walk around it? There's an entire parking lane that is open for use as a sidewalk, I have no idea why this wasn't completed long ago.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan1 View Post
Isn't the easy solution here just to but up some jersey barriers and asphalt ramp so you can walk around it? There's an entire parking lane that is open for use as a sidewalk, I have no idea why this wasn't completed long ago.
100%

OR make the owner of the property fix the PUBLIC sidewalk. The way that it is is dangerous. Why does the city ignore this stuff? Drives me nuts.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development