HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 5:30 PM

The project could come back to life at some point down the road.

Just not in the same form, or for most of the same uses.
Certianly not with anywhere close to that much office space in this market

I could see a redesign with the first three or 4 floors retaining some mix of retail and maybe one or two levels of office, while still preserving the heritage street-facing faces as in this design, and then (much smaller footprint) hotel and/or residential tower above.

But I'd guess any redesign and application resubmittal might wait to see how other properties under redevelopment on Granville (by the Bonnis family and others) such as the Rec room and 950 Granville do once they open, before they decide how they want to move forward.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spr0ckets View Post
The project could come back to life at some point down the road.

Just not in the same form, or for most of the same uses.
Certianly not with anywhere close to that much office space in this market

I could see a redesign with the first three or 4 floors retaining some mix of retail and maybe one or two levels of office, while still preserving the heritage street-facing faces as in this design, and then (much smaller footprint) hotel and/or residential tower above.

But I'd guess any redesign and application resubmittal might wait to see how other properties under redevelopment on Granville (by the Bonnis family and others) such as the Rec room and 950 Granville do once they open, before they decide how they want to move forward.
Anything is possible, but Bonnis said they are selling 950 Granville once it's complete, and they've put at least three other Downtown properties on the market. Anything like the project you describe would make no economic sense, as the cost of engineering the span over the Commodore Ballroom would only be possible for a massive building like the project they proposed. It might make sense to redevelop north of the ballroom, and leave the Commodore alone. None of the heritage buildings are especially valuable in historical terms, and 720 Robson replaced a similar old building over 10 years ago, so there's a precident. That block would need a zoning change to allow residential, and it seems unlikely to be supported, but a hotel would be fine.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 6:26 PM

And you could build as tall as Vancouver Block without going into Viewcone 12.2. Don't think they're getting rid of that one anytime soon (then again this site won't be in development anytime soon either).

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 6:35 PM

Well, that's a shame.

Yeah, 10 years ago the office market wasn't what it is today - or rather the office market as it is today wasn't in the same state 10 years go, so I'm not really sure if that precedent would apply any more.

It's also a shame that they likely wouldn't support an application seeking to rezone it to mixed use including residential use (and yes, I get it, and understand why) - even in that part of downtown - especially in a situation where having that residential component would be critical to allowing a project redevelopment some financial viability, and instead let it continue as part of the further wider and ongoing deterioration of Granville Street.
Rather than being part of a process to kick-start its revitalization.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 6:40 PM

Previous City & Planning people took too long to approve this. That's why it is scrapped.

I am actually happy about this only because destruction of the heritage elements won't happen now. Pray the same will also happen to the Bay as well as Sinclair Centre.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
Previous City & Planning people took too long to approve this. That's why it is scrapped.

I am actually happy about this only because destruction of the heritage elements won't happen now. Pray the same will also happen to the Bay as well as Sinclair Centre.
It's funny you say that because as it currently stands, it would seem like if this block is ever to get redeveloped in the future, then some, if not all of those heritage elements being sacrificed might be the only way it actually gets done.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 9:13 PM

Quote:
I think it got scrapped because it's a high-end office building.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 10:24 PM

Quote:
The rezoning was submitted in November 2022, after ABC were elected with a majority on City Council. The previous Council had nothing to do with any delay. If there was any truth that it was scrapped because of delays in City Hall, it would be thanks to ABC.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spr0ckets View Post
It's funny you say that because as it currently stands, it would seem like if this block is ever to get redeveloped in the future, then some, if not all of those heritage elements being sacrificed might be the only way it actually gets done.
Doesn't seem like it was the cost of rejuvenation that killed the project so much as the office slump.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 10:46 PM

I'd rather see two buildings - one north of the Commodore and one south of it
(if the corner building at Smithe is redeveloped, that could straddle just the Orpheum entrance, which would be less costly than straddling the Commodore, but not sure if the City would cooperate unless it's a City-led project).

I don't really find the heritage buildings north of the Commodore really significant.
A landmark design would help anchor the corner better than the existing buildings.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver