HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation

Old Posted Sep 24, 2023, 8:07 PM

What.

Quote:
Bowen Island group offers $30 million to Metro Vancouver Regional District to cancel campground plans for regional park

An environmental advocacy group on Bowen Island opposed to Metro Vancouver Regional District’s proposal to establish a second regional park on the island is offering up to $30 million to stop the plan in its tracks...

... This past spring, as a key step towards establishing the 240-acre regional park, the regional district finalized the purchase of 24 parcels of waterfront land at Cape Roger Curtis, which is located at the southwest corner of the island. This is an acquisition worth $40 million from a private developer.

The plan is to introduce new day-use and overnight uses with roughly 100 camping spots, along with picnic areas, trails, viewpoints, and waterfront access.

But the group, comprised of island residents, is particularly concerned about the camping component, asserting that it will bring a significant influx of people, which would not only “disturb” their nature refuge but also increase vehicle traffic, damage the coastal bluff ecosystem, and increase the risk of wildfires and the introduction of invasive species.

“We also note concerns expressed by the Bowen Island Municipality and the Islands Trust, and the overwhelming public opposition to the Park as currently proposed, in particular with respect to camping. We remain concerned about potential impacts on the Wild Coast Nature Refuge and conservation in the adjacent area,” continues the letter.

The group states they are now in a position to offer the regional district a sum of $30 million to purchase the entire property, based on the donations that have been pledged. They expect these funds can be fully confirmed and formally presented by November...

Old Posted Sep 24, 2023, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
What.
Wow! That seems like a huge sum of money for a group of island residents to be able to come up with!

Old Posted Sep 24, 2023, 11:23 PM
Blazed Member - Citygater

Relief in the works to help with Stanley Park's weekend traffic jams

Vancouver parks board staff are working on re-establishing a second exit to Stanley Park following removal of the temporary bike lane.

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-...d-traffic-jams
Published Jul 12, 2023

“We are aware of traffic congestion through Stanley Park on summer weekends,” according to an unattributed statement from staff in response to Postmedia questions.

However, they will be starting work on removing that final section of bike lane and re-opening another exit “in the coming weeks,” establishing an exit that will connect with Park Lane into the West End.

does anyone know if the 2nd exit reopened yet?

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Sep 24, 2023, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodnorth View Post
Relief in the works to help with Stanley Park's weekend traffic jams

Vancouver parks board staff are working on re-establishing a second exit to Stanley Park following removal of the temporary bike lane.

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-...d-traffic-jams
Published Jul 12, 2023

“We are aware of traffic congestion through Stanley Park on summer weekends,” according to an unattributed statement from staff in response to Postmedia questions.

However, they will be starting work on removing that final section of bike lane and re-opening another exit “in the coming weeks,” establishing an exit that will connect with Park Lane into the West End.

does anyone know if the 2nd exit reopened yet?
https://twitter.com/johnrstreit/stat...63044392030208

looks like the prep work was done a while back.

also on Google Maps it shows 2 lanes now >> https://maps.app.goo.gl/ps5VotsdCybT6ekw6

Old Posted Sep 25, 2023, 12:48 AM
SkyTrain Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercanuck View Post
Wow! That seems like a huge sum of money for a group of island residents to be able to come up with!
Quote:
environmental advocacy group
I'm sure the transparency on who is footing what on that offer puts a major sum under "anonymous donation".

Old Posted Sep 25, 2023, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercanuck View Post
I guess if you have a few rich residents it's not that crazy especially if you restrict the number of visitors.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2023, 4:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodnorth View Post
https://twitter.com/johnrstreit/stat...63044392030208

looks like the prep work was done a while back.

also on Google Maps it shows 2 lanes now >> https://maps.app.goo.gl/ps5VotsdCybT6ekw6
The tweet is dated August 7, I was at Third Beach in early September and the bike lane mess still hadn’t been removed past Second Beach. It looks like they’re working on Nelson so I assume they’re going to route traffic through the tennis court parking lot and onto Nelson. Dumb.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2023, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
The tweet is dated August 7, I was at Third Beach in early September and the bike lane mess still hadn’t been removed past Second Beach. It looks like they’re working on Nelson so I assume they’re going to route traffic through the tennis court parking lot and onto Nelson. Dumb.
Stanley Park exiting traffic can now use Park Lane and head into the West End via Nelson, Barclay, and Robson. Not sure about the configuration around Second Beach, but there is still a bike lane going either way on Stanley Park Drive to get from English Bay to Second Beach.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2023, 9:30 PM

I checked .... and yes the 2nd exit is NOW open again!

Old Posted Sep 26, 2023, 11:44 PM

there was a problem on the bridge yesterday

bc.ctvnews.ca

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/lions-gate-bri...bris-1.6576909

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 8:20 PM

(continued from Broadway thread)

If they ever redo Langara, then personally, I'm still hoping for a modern zoo. Not like the craptastic Aldergrove or Stanley Park ones - bigger, properly-designed exhibits, local animals (or at least ones that can handle the climate), educational signs and videos, an actual food court, and all profits going to conservation of BC's wildlife. Maybe get the FN to do a soundtrack.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 8:35 PM
SkyTrain Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerHaight View Post
Yes, they are. If you're a lower- or middle-class individual hoping to pick up the sport, you're most likely to play at a municipal course.

However, golf, like other equipment intensive sports like ice hockey or American football, has incredibly high entry costs. Sure, you can rent clubs but that's a good way to double the cost of a round.
Wait, we have to pay to use the municipal courses??
Back in 2011 I picked up someone's 70's golf set at value village and would go clubbing at the Central Park golf course. I wasn't aware just walking onto the course wasn't allowed.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 10:58 PM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
(continued from Broadway thread)

If they ever redo Langara, then personally, I'm still hoping for a modern zoo. Not like the craptastic Aldergrove or Stanley Park ones - bigger, properly-designed exhibits, local animals (or at least ones that can handle the climate), educational signs and videos, an actual food court, and all profits going to conservation of BC's wildlife. Maybe get the FN to do a soundtrack.
Great idea! I'm sure I am not the only BC resident who hates driving to Seattle just to visit a real zoo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIPS View Post
Wait, we have to pay to use the municipal courses??
Back in 2011 I picked up someone's 70's golf set at value village and would go clubbing at the Central Park golf course. I wasn't aware just walking onto the course wasn't allowed.
Haha, I think sneaking onto a municipal chip and putt is unlikely to be punished too severely.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 11:23 PM

No way we'll get a new zoo in the City of Vancouver.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2023, 1:29 AM

the peoples are freaking out about this lol

Vancouver mayor announces plan to remove city's independent park board
Ken Sim intends to ask province to change city charter in order to shift board's responsibilities to council

Justin McElroy, Chad Pawson · CBC News · Posted: Dec 05, 2023

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation