HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Jan 16, 2024, 1:29 AM

Get ready for another sub 22 story 'Luxury' rental/condo building in this 'Prominent Location' of 'National Interest'.

The NCC says it is actively engaged in "confidential discussions with CLARIDGE"

I mean, I could be wrong, but based on history, I'd say there is a 98% chance we get a few years of pipe dreams and consultations about aquariums, portrait galleries, and other fanciful things, but at the end of the day it will be a Claridge 'Luxury' residential project.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2024, 2:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
Get ready for another sub 22 story 'Luxury' rental/condo building in this 'Prominent Location' of 'National Interest'.

The NCC says it is actively engaged in "confidential discussions with CLARIDGE"

I mean, I could be wrong, but based on history, I'd say there is a 98% chance we get a few years of pipe dreams and consultations about aquariums, portrait galleries, and other fanciful things, but at the end of the day it will be a Claridge 'Luxury' residential project.
it actually sounds worse then a possible Claridge tower. according to the article "...the Crown corporation will be seeking tenants. The NCC says it is actively engaged in "confidential discussions with a proponent" and expects to be able to provide further details "in the coming weeks." which tells me they are just gonna lease the current space instead of demolishing this ugly building and building something new and higher then 2 stories. I could be reading this wrong tho but that was my reaction after reading this.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2024, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
...the Crown corporation will be seeking tenants.
This would be a good location for a bookstore!

Old Posted Jan 16, 2024, 2:47 PM

Fear not. With the NCC's reputation for maintaining its buildings, this building will be nothing more than a pile of rubble in a few more years. I just hope that the prospective tenant knows enough to NOT sign a long-term lease.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2024, 3:29 PM

the shape of the site would make it hard to build anything over 9 storeys, unless they include the corner. Would be a good hotel site.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2024, 2:23 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

NCC seeks new operator for Meech Lake jewel O'Brien House
The mansion was build in the 1930s for J. Ambrose O'Brien, a Renfrew-born Industrialist who founded the Montreal Canadiens and the National Hockey Association, the precursor of the NHL.

Blair Crawford, Ottawa Citizen
Published Jan 17, 2024 • Last updated 4 hours ago • 3 minute read

The National Capital Commission is having another go at running its historic O’Brien House at Meech Lake as a boutique hotel … or a spa, or a bed and breakfast, or a restaurant, or a wellness centre …

In fact, the NCC will entertain “any other innovative use” for the nearly century-old cliff-side mansion so long as it’s compatible with commission plans for Gatineau Park and the national capital region “while preserving and showcasing the building’s heritage character and providing public access.”

“You talk about ‘location, location, location,'” said Bill Leonard, the NCC’s vice-president of real estate and development. “You’re 20 minutes from downtown Ottawa. You’re on Meech Lake for swimmers. You’re on the trails for walkers and cross-country skiers. You’re minutes from Camp Fortune. Its location is everything you could ask for.”

The mansion was build in the 1930s for J. Ambrose O’Brien, a Renfrew-born Industrialist who founded the Montreal Canadiens and the National Hockey Association, the precursor of the NHL. The NCC acquired the property in 1964 and it underwent a nearly $4-million renovation completed in 2018. It was run for nearly two years as a boutique hotel by Robert Milling and Lynn Berthiaume, operators of the Wakefield Mill, another NCC-owned building, but closed in 2019.

Leonard said the NCC and Milling and Berthiaume agreed to end their five-year lease for O’Brien House early because of a difference in business models. Milling and Berthiaume wanted to run it as a space for special events, while the NCC wants it to open for regular hotel and restaurant use.

Milling declined to comment for this story, but In a 2019 Facebook post said the hotel was “not financially sustainable as high operating costs exceeded revenues.”

That hiccup, followed by the COVID-19 pandemic, meant O’Brien House has sat unused for more than four years, but the NCC has been fielding more and more inquiries about the property, Leonard said. It issued a request for proposals just before Christmas.

“It has been on the market for the last three years, and we’ve been taking individual offers on a case-by-case basis because it had been really slow. But now there’s a critical mass building and we want to make sure there’s a formal process and that everything is on the up and up.”

The competition is set to close at the end of January, although that deadline may be extended, he said.

From its rocky hilltop location, O’Brien has a commanding view of Meech Lake and the surrounding Gatineau Hills. In the 2018 renovation, which was done with input from Milling and Berthiaume, the building was gutted to the studs and rebuilt to modern standards. The showpiece is a sun-drenched kitchen with views across the valley.

“The kitchen is probably the best work space that any chef will ever see,” Leonard said. “The intent behind the design is that we wanted to attract the best chefs to work here, so it has the best kitchen to work in.”

The renovations added an elevator to make the hotel accessible and 11 individually designed guest rooms, a large salon with a floor-to-ceiling stone fireplace and a wrap-around terrace with a stunning view overlooking Meech Lake.

A nearby caretaker’s house is also available for lease.

“We always envisioned that this could almost be a mom-and-pop type operation or managed by a couple, and proximity to the hotel is very important,” Leonard said. “The residential property is set aside so that, if an operator wanted to use that for onsite staff accommodation, they could.”

In the request for proposals, the NCC has identified the annual market rent for the property to be $144,000, with the caretaker’s house available for an additional $2,450 per month, plus an estimated property tax bill of $6,249.51.

O’Brien House and the Wakefield Mill are the only two hotels in Gatineau Park, Leonard said.

“It’s a wonderful hotel. I can’t imagine anyone who wouldn’t want to stay here,” he said. “If you want to enjoy Gatineau Park, you’ll want to stay here.”

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...l-obrien-house

Old Posted Jan 19, 2024, 1:02 PM

The Agenda for next week's Board Meeting has been posted.

Quite a small agenda, but it does include a Building LeBreton Project Updates (I)

https://ncc-ccn.gc.ca/events/virtual...g-january-2024

Old Posted Jan 19, 2024, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL123 View Post
The Agenda for next week's Board Meeting has been posted.

Quite a small agenda, but it does include a Building LeBreton Project Updates (I)

https://ncc-ccn.gc.ca/events/virtual...g-january-2024
Better have a successful proponent for the Flats District. It's been two freakin' years!

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 5:25 PM

Public agenda:

https://ncc-website-2.s3.amazonaws.c...Agenda-WEB.pdf

Of note:

- National Printing Bureau Rehab
- NRC master plan
- Ottawa River North Shore
- Gatineau Park acquisitions

LeBreton only discussed during in-camera meeting.

For the NRC, don't get you hopes up. Was hoping for street grid extensions and residential on Blair and Montreal, but there's none of that. Nothing beyond new NRC buildings from what I understand.

https://nrc.canada.ca/en/corporate/y...al-road-campus

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 5:50 PM

First time in a while that Lebreton Flat isnt on the agenda I feel?!?

Last edited by SL123; Apr 15, 2024 at 6:29 PM.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 5:56 PM

Quote:
First time in a while that Lebreton Flat isnt on the agenda I fell?!?
Yeah, that's true. Not much to discuss though. Flats District now needs to go to Council. Took about 5 months between hearing Dream was chosen and DevApp to appear. Sens have until the Fall to make a decision. I imagine they are taking a pause on releasing more land for tender.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 6:31 PM

The former Chapter on Rideau is also not part of the agenda. I thought i read somewhere that the NCC was going to say more about that purchase in April.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 6:46 PM

Quote:
The former Chapter on Rideau is also not part of the agenda. I thought i read somewhere that the NCC was going to say more about that purchase in April.
Someone more knowledgeable than me pointed out that the Chapters Building file is not an NCC project to be voted on, but a commercial lease, so it would be included in the report on activities, not it's own item.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Someone more knowledgeable than me pointed out that the Chapters Building file is not an NCC project to be voted on, but a commercial lease, so it would be included in the report on activities, not it's own item.
Makes sense, Thanks!

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:59 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

NCC to close 1.2 km stretch of Queen Elizabeth Driveway to vehicles this summer

Josh Pringle, CTV News
Published April 23, 2024 2:50 p.m. EDT | Updated April 23, 2024 3:49 p.m. EDT

The National Capital Commission will close a section of Queen Elizabeth Driveway to vehicles seven days a week this summer, but only a shorter section of the road will be open for active transportation in July and August.

The NCC unveiled plans for its popular Weekend Bikedays and the summer active use program on Tuesday, saying there will be nearly 20 kilometres of car-free roads for residents and visitors to use.

Between May 11 and October 14, Queen Elizabeth Driveway, the Sir George-Étienne Cartier Parkway and the Kichi Zībī Mīkan will be open on weekends for active transportation. The Queen Elizabeth Driveway will be open for active transportation on weekends between Fifth Avenue and Somerset Street.

In July and August, Queen Elizabeth Driveway will be open for active transportation 24 hours a day, seven days a week between Somerset Street and Pretoria Avenue.

"This will allow the NCC to provide animation opportunities along this corridor, creating an ‘open street’ concept," the NCC said in a statement.

This summer's weekday bikedays on Queen Elizabeth Driveway will open approximately 1.2 kilometres of the road to active transportation.

Last summer, Mayor Mark Sutcliffe and some businesses criticized the NCC for closing Queen Elizabeth Driveway to vehicles seven days a week between Somerset Street and Fifth Avenue.

Sutcliffe posted a video on social media calling on the NCC to only close the busy roadway along the Rideau Canal on weekends. The mayor urged the NCC to adopt a "balanced approach" to its active use program, saying closing the road during weekday rush hour "causes significant delays for emergency vehicles, congestion on neighbourhood streets, and increased commute times."

The NCC says a recent survey indicates that both residents and visitors are "highly satisfied" with the active use program.

Electronic counters on the parkways captured more than 240,000 visits last year, according to the NCC. Statistics show there were 133,000 total visits on Queen Elizabeth Driveway, with an average of 1,502 visits a day.

The National Capital Commission says it will launch a Rideau Canal parkway study this summer to explore the feasibility of installing bike lanes along Queen Elizabeth Driveway and Colonel By Drive.

"The objective is to determine the most effective way to provide permanent, segregated cycling space to ease the pressure on the canal pathways and enhance pedestrian safety while separating faster-moving cyclists from the limited pathway space," the NCC said in a statement. "This study will include consultation with community associations, stakeholders and the public."

Dave Robertson, the vice president of Bike Ottawa, told Newstalk 580 CFRA's Ottawa Now with Kristy Cameron that the NCC is taking a step in the right direction.

"Having cars on what is some of the most valuable space in our city is unfortunate, but these types of steps are what we want to see," he said.

Robertson says multi-use pathways are not wide enough for all of the different types of users — walkers, runners, rollerbladers, cyclists, and others — and having separate lanes for cycling would be more effective.

"Those multi-use pathways are designed for recreation, not necessarily for moving people, and they're very congested in many parts of the city. There's a certain stress level when you get all those modes stuck into one little bit of small space. We'd love to see more space so that these different modes can move about safely," he said. "We're grateful that we have them in our city, but in the future we need to look forward to building segregated facilities that keep these modes separate so that it's more comfortable for people walking and people on bikes can feel more comfortable getting around."
NCC Weekend Bikeday Schedule

The Sir George-Étienne Cartier Parkway will be open for active transportation on weekends between May 11 and Oct. 14. The parkway along the Ottawa River will be open from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. between the Aviation Parkway and St. Joseph Boulevard.

The Kichi Zībī Mīkan will be open for open for active transportation from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. between May 11 and Oct. 14. The westbound lanes of the parkway will be open from Vimy Place to Carling Avenue.

The Queen Elizabeth Driveway will be open on weekends from May 11 to Oct. 14 between Fifth Avenue and Somerset Street. In July and August, the road will be open for active transportation seven days a week between Somerset Street and Pretoria Avenue.

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/ncc-to-clo...mmer-1.6858748

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues