HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 2:46 PM
Busy Beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadingEdgeBoomer View Post
The Mitrex web site says this about 1451 Wellington Street:

A look at the Mitrex web site shows that solar panels have come a long way since their inception. There are an amazing number of looks that they come in.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 3:29 PM

Ok, so they didn't downgrade because of the financial situation, they just switch to something that gives sustainability points and is likely more expensive.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Ok, so they didn't downgrade because of the financial situation, they just switch to something that gives sustainability points and is likely more expensive.
I think Mitrex may have given them a discount on the panels as a showpiece building

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 4:08 PM
Living With My Mother

This is an interesting development.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 5:03 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheezy View Post
I think Mitrex may have given them a discount on the panels as a showpiece building
That may be, but somebody still needs to pay the bill to Mitrex.

I wonder if this will be installed on the north side as well, or that's where they'll cheap out with the non-matching bronze sheet metal?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 6:20 PM

I was walking in the area last week, and I didn’t see much work going on. Some exterior painting was being done, but that seemed to be the extent of it.

On another note, the owners of the old gas station property across the street have cleared the site: all the trees have been removed. And at the property next to it, the old Otto’s used car dealership, the parking lot has been repaved and the line markings have been repainted. Looks like something is going on. I’ll try to upload/post photos in the appropriate forum.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2023, 11:51 AM

Was speaking with a local business owner who knows a Sr. person on the construction project who mentioned to them they are about a year away from moving in dates. I would have thought the interiors were much further along. Anyone have any other sources?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2023, 1:59 PM

I know this is a high(er) quality project, but damn has it ever taken forever.

I feel like they've built and moved people into much taller (and larger) projects, like Claridge Moon, before this much smaller one.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2023, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
I know this is a high(er) quality project, but damn has it ever taken forever.

I feel like they've built and moved people into much taller (and larger) projects, like Claridge Moon, before this much smaller one.
I'm assuming that the developer's financial problems with other projects are seeping into this build, so that probably has had some impact.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2023, 5:19 PM

Perhaps yep? Plus the bespoke nature of each unit? When I went to the open house, they were offering fully customized suites in a wide range of materials. That probably would make things a bit more complex to manage as well from a project (and financing) perspective.

Anyways, no idea how much truth is in the "it'll be a year before people move in" but, certainly raised my eyebrows since I thought the interior would have been further along. Maybe I'll have to ask some workers the next time I walk on by

Old Posted Dec 13, 2023, 11:01 PM

I can imagine that costs of premium materials have gone up more than your standard Claridge projects.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2024, 6:26 PM

Irpinia kitchens was onsite unloading a truck load of kitchen cabinets yesterday.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2024, 1:05 AM

Targeted move in dates are beginning in August and continuing through the fall.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 7:10 PM

Listing indicates August occupancy. Still so much left to be done on the exterior, and not much seems to have been done in the last few weeks. Can't imagine purchasing a condo at that price without parking. Must be a mistake.
https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...wa-ottawa-west

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex613 View Post
\Can't imagine purchasing a condo at that price without parking. Must be a mistake.
Unless there is a car service in Ottawa that assures private transportation on demand with little to no wait in an appropriate class of vehicle.

But the price of that compared to the 2 bedroom currently for sale at the Metropole (with its amenities and right on the door of an LRT station and better views) makes this place seem to be marketed to someone less discerning with their dollars than me.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex613 View Post
Listing indicates August occupancy. Still so much left to be done on the exterior, and not much seems to have been done in the last few weeks. Can't imagine purchasing a condo at that price without parking. Must be a mistake.
It's nice. Nicer than most condos, but I feel like you could buy a house with similar finishes for a little over a million nearly anywhere in the city.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
It's nice. Nicer than most condos, but I feel like you could buy a house with similar finishes for a little over a million nearly anywhere in the city.
Certainly not a little over a million.

Here is a nice semi-detached, nearby, for $1.88M. The fit and finish would be comparable to the brand new condo.

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...ellington-west

Homes in this neighbourhood for closer to $1M tend to be a lot older which would be hard to overlook. Obviously all of them save the $1650 a month in condo fees.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2024, 4:57 PM

Approx 80% sold out. They've merged several of the units as owners wanted more space so there are ~30ish less units overall. Most of the remaining units face Wellington and are 1 bdrms or 1 bdrms plus Den. ($775k-886K). There are some 2bdrms+Den remaining ($1.2-3.6MM).

The solar panel roof components have been constructed. They are now determining the best way to integrate the rest of the metal roofing with the solar panel roof materials. ETA a couple more months to go.

Move in dates are in August for floors up to the 5th floor. Then floors 6-9 in early November or so...with the remaining top floors toward the end of November. This is due to the builder needing access to construct the rounded feature.

Parking spot = 75K. Storage room: 25k. Mtce fees = $0.85/sq'ft (remaining units are bw 578-1930 sq ft)

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 2:13 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

'Landmark' Mizrahi condo building in Westboro slated to open this fall, developer says

David Sali, OBJ
March 25, 2024 2:19 PM ET

Sam Mizrahi says the 12-storey, 93-unit building at 1451 Wellington St. W. is expected to be ready for occupancy by September.

The developer behind a troubled Toronto condominium project that has made headlines for being years behind schedule says his luxury condo in Westboro is on track to be completed this fall. Sam Mizrahi says the 12-storey, 93-unit building at 1451 Wellington St. W. is expected to be ready for occupancy by September.

“We got landmark status for this project and its architecture design,” Mizrahi, the founder and president of Toronto-based Mizrahi Developments, told OBJ on Monday. “It’s been an incredible project for us and we’re looking forward to its completion.” Known as 1451 Wellington, the controversial project at the corner of Wellington Street West and Island Park Drive has been more than a decade in the making. The developer’s original proposal in 2013 stalled at the city’s planning committee over a zoning bylaw that prohibited any building taller than nine storeys. After Mizrahi appealed, the Ontario Municipal Board – then the province’s final tribunal for municipal zoning disputes – ruled in 2015 that the developer would either have to cut the building to nine storeys or come up with a new design featuring distinctive “landmark” architecture.

The planning committee approved the revised architectural design that October, and the OMB gave the project its final stamp of approval later that year.

While the condo was originally slated to be completed in mid-2021, Mizrahi said the pandemic threw a wrench into construction.

Restrictions aimed at curbing the spread of the virus that causes COVID-19 effectively shut down work on the site for months at a time, he noted, and labour and material shortages further disrupted its progress.

“COVID caused a two-year delay on every project,” Mizrahi said. “When you tell the world to stay at home and you can’t work … I think everyone’s forgotten what happened. Nothing was happening for almost two years, not only in production of materials in factories, but also in labour. Labour was very hard to get. “We’re coming back to normal now, but it’s taken a year and a half for that to happen. You don’t just turn it back on and everything’s back to normal after closing the world for two years. It doesn’t work like that. We’re just getting back to normal now.”

Interest rate hikes and rising inflation have also wreaked havoc on the real estate industry in the past couple of years, prompting developers to pause or cancel major projects.

Mizrahi Developments has not been immune. The firm’s biggest project – The One, a building in downtown Toronto that was billed as Canada’s tallest condo tower with 85 floors of condo units, hotel suites and retail space – has fallen years behind schedule amid allegations of being hundreds of millions of dollars over budget.

However, Mizrahi said financing was not a major concern at 1451 Wellington.

“Interest rates are a factor, but they're not as big a factor as COVID was,” he said. “I would blame 80 per cent (of the delay) on COVID, 20 per cent on interest rates.” Mizrahi said the building’s interior finishings are in the process of being installed and its copper roof is being manufactured.

Once all the interior work is done, the adjoining parkette and playground will be all that’s left to finish at the property, he added. Meanwhile, Mizrahi said his company is “actively engaged” in talks to purchase two other sites in Westboro in the hope of launching more luxury condo developments in the capital in the near future. “The housing (market) in Ottawa has been very strong, and we’re looking at completing this project and starting new ones in the Ottawa market similar to the type of project that we built here on Wellington,” he said.

“We think it’s a growing market. That’s the reason we came in in the first place.”

https://obj.ca/mizrahi-condo-buildin...pen-this-fall/

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa