HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Aug 16, 2023, 9:36 AM

I was looking at the draft Regional Plan and was surprised that the lands around this extension are tagged as Urban Reserve, as in not ready for development until further studies are completed to evaluate its development potential.

Any idea who owns the lands on each side? I’m assuming it’s not all the Municipal Group.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2023, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egb View Post
I was looking at the draft Regional Plan and was surprised that the lands around this extension are tagged as Urban Reserve, as in not ready for development until further studies are completed to evaluate its development potential.

Any idea who owns the lands on each side? I’m assuming it’s not all the Municipal Group.
Some are probably Department of National Defence

Old Posted Aug 17, 2023, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egb View Post

http://https://www.viewpoint.ca/map

Looks like a big chunk of it is DND, as it curves through CFAD's boundary, like has already been mentioned. Another big chunk to the north looks like the Municipal Group as you said. That just leaves a couple of chunks, that look like they were one PID, near the intersection with Burnside. With Anderson Lake and the outflow there maybe they are set aside as urban wetland?

Old Posted Sep 2, 2023, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Agreed. The TCH around Moncton is the most problematic portion of the entire divided highway network in NB.

All they did was twin the pre-existing alignment. No modification at all. They even left in two at grade railway crossings! All this despite the fact the highway around Moncton is the busiest section of the TCH in the entire province.
There is a section just west of Peticodiac where the east bound lane literally follows the same route as the original road that was built in this area. The west bound lane follows a more direct route. Though it’s not the TCH, it’s still a problematic section.

Nova Scotia has far fewer sections like this, if any at all. A lot of the twinned highways in NS are much older than the NB counterparts also.

Quebec has taken then NB approach for twinning the 85 north of the NB border also. In a ton of places, they just twinned the existing road.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2023, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
There is a section just west of Peticodiac where the east bound lane literally follows the same route as the original road that was built in this area. The west bound lane follows a more direct route. Though it’s not the TCH, it’s still a problematic section.

Nova Scotia has far fewer sections like this, if any at all. A lot of the twinned highways in NS are much older than the NB counterparts also.

Quebec has taken then NB approach for twinning the 85 north of the NB border also. In a ton of places, they just twinned the existing road.
I agree, if you look at this Highway map of Nova Scotia from 50 years ago you can really see how Nova Scotia had started building a U.S. interstate style system early on in the 60's. Now in 2023 many of these sections have been easily twinned with only the major exceptions of the Cobequid pass and the recent Marshy Hope bypass on the 104.

Full Size:

Source: Nova Scotia Archives
https://archives.novascotia.ca/maps/...Page=201520284

Old Posted Sep 2, 2023, 8:22 PM

The bottom map of Halifax & Dartmouth is interesting as it shows all the rail lines extant in the cities at that time. What an opportunity wasted.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2023, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
The bottom map of Halifax & Dartmouth is interesting as it shows all the rail lines extant in the cities at that time. What an opportunity wasted.
Yeah really, what a shame.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2023, 10:07 PM

You know, all these years, and I've never noticed NS-142 by Springhill.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 2:11 PM
Cap the Cut!

The bush/wooded bit on Akerley Blvd. between the end of Burnside Drive and the newly constructed portion of Burnside Drive that leads to the new 107 is now under construction.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2023, 6:21 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrdeeharharharbour View Post
The bush/wooded bit on Akerley Blvd. between the end of Burnside Drive and the newly constructed portion of Burnside Drive that leads to the new 107 is now under construction.
That's got to mean things are soon coming to a close. Further in there's been work for months. I know it's 20 years late, but I can't wait for much easier coming from Cole Harbour to Sackville will be.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2023, 9:19 PM
Cap the Cut!

Akerley Blvd. had been closed for a bit at Burnside Drive allowing no right hand turns. It is now reopened.

20231217_121544 by AJ Forsythe, on Flickr

20231217_121416 by AJ Forsythe, on Flickr

After I was parked next to Akerley I noticed what looks like a statue of two boxers in the woods not too far from Akerley. Can anyone provide details on what this is?...

20231217_121948 by AJ Forsythe, on Flickr

20231217_121957 by AJ Forsythe, on Flickr

Old Posted Dec 18, 2023, 1:08 AM

^That area is an engineered wetland designed to treat the runoff coming of of the former Black Lake Landfill. The waters go into Wright's Brook which feeds Enchanted Lake and eventually to the Bedford Basin at the foot of Magazine Hill. The statues were installed when the wetlands were built as part of a planned eco-park that never got finished.

Thesis Statement on the engineered wetlands.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2023, 12:02 PM
Cap the Cut!

Thank you! I'm glad to know this.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2023, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
That's got to mean things are soon coming to a close. Further in there's been work for months. I know it's 20 years late, but I can't wait for much easier coming from Cole Harbour to Sackville will be.
Work will be complete next December based on take over dates I've seen

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure