HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Jun 27, 2023, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt-pdx View Post
Progress on Minnesota Place.

In my mind, it was to be prefabricated units, but appears to just be using laminated timber floor plates with (significant) steel stud framing:

mn_place_under_construction_202306_jun_100449367 by ce, on Flickr

mn_place_under_construction_202306_jun_100352708 by ce, on Flickr
Thanks for the update pics. I had no idea this was moving along so quickly!

Old Posted Jul 14, 2023, 4:58 PM

Drawings for the Strong Properties development at 4931-4947 N Williams:

Quote:
New 4-story residential building providing 75 affordable housing units with ground floor amenity spaces including a community room, lobby, and central courtyard. Surface parking providing 32 spaces and loading accessed off of NE Alberta is proposed west of the building. Primary exterior cladding concept includes dark brick and light and dark grey Ceraclad fiber cement siding. No modifications or Adjustments to development standards anticipated.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2023, 8:39 PM

The empty lot across from Ace Hardware at NE Broadway has been fenced off (old Kia parking lot). Looks like permit have been pulled to demo the old Gary Safe building at the corner of Weidler ad MLK. Nothing else is apparently proposed.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2023, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPDX View Post
The empty lot across from Ace Hardware at NE Broadway has been fenced off (old Kia parking lot). Looks like permit have been pulled to demo the old Gary Safe building at the corner of Weidler ad MLK. Nothing else is apparently proposed.
This building is fully down as of today. Really opens up that intersection.

Makes it safer honestly, hated how close to the corner that building was, you had zero sight line to cars driving west on Weidler. I've had others complain to me as well (when they saw it was coming down).

Old Posted Dec 2, 2023, 9:18 PM

I wonder what outcomes of this might be? Financial? Allow for community development of the empty lots? Such an eyesore and lasting FU to the Black community there. I still think it would be a great location for relocated Harriet Tubman MS.

https://www.oregonlive.com/news/2023...dge-rules.html

Old Posted Dec 3, 2023, 4:23 AM
BANNED

Quote:
I wonder what outcomes of this might be? Financial? Allow for community development of the empty lots? Such an eyesore and lasting FU to the Black community there. I still think it would be a great location for relocated Harriet Tubman MS.

https://www.oregonlive.com/news/2023...dge-rules.html
Literally a perfect location that’s only a block or 2 away as well

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 6:13 PM

This looks messy. Two large apartments building u/c on Williams stalled over a legal dispute between owner/contractor.

https://www.wweek.com/news/chasing-g...truction-firm/

Old Posted Feb 9, 2024, 9:19 PM

Quote:
This looks messy. Two large apartments building u/c on Williams stalled over a legal dispute between owner/contractor.

https://www.wweek.com/news/chasing-g...truction-firm/
This story is really one-sided and I think we should withhold judgement when it comes to blaming the parties.
As an Architect I used to do work with Seabold Construction under Harry and Steve Seabold, Larry Didway, et al. 20 years ago and they were always up front, honest, and worked well with a lot of non-profits on affordable housing. It really was a great family owned business built on good relationships.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2024, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Nob View Post
This story is really one-sided and I think we should withhold judgement when it comes to blaming the parties.
As an Architect I used to do work with Seabold Construction under Harry and Steve Seabold, Larry Didway, et al. 20 years ago and they were always up front, honest, and worked well with a lot of non-profits on affordable housing. It really was a great family owned business built on good relationships.
Maybe I'm misreading, but did Seabold go under? Is that the root of the issue here?

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Maybe I'm misreading, but did Seabold go under? Is that the root of the issue here?
I don't know about "going under"? It sounds like the founder passed away and the family is in the process of closing up the business.

https://www.wweek.com/news/2024/02/1...iams-heats-up/

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 9:14 PM

Notice of a Type II Decision for affordable housing at 4947 N Williams. Full Case File here.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Feb 13, 2024, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Nob View Post
I don't know about "going under"? It sounds like the founder passed away and the family is in the process of closing up the business.

https://www.wweek.com/news/2024/02/1...iams-heats-up/
Regardless, hopefully they can get started soon. Those buildings are going to have an outsize presence on the street there.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2024, 5:08 PM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
Albina housing on Legacy Emanuel site

This is good news about a long-vacant site:

https://www.oregonlive.com/business/...3-819ed655655c

Old Posted Mar 5, 2024, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Housing, Black business incubator planned on North Portland site razed for unbuilt hospital

A site that was once considered the center of Portland’s Black business district, razed for a hospital expansion that was never built, may soon become the site of more than 100 affordable homes and an incubator for Black businesses.

The nonprofit behind the project, and a team led by Portland development firm Adre and the affordable housing nonprofit Portland Community Reinvestment Initiatives Inc., unveiled plans Tuesday for a $115 million redevelopment of the 1.7-acre block northwest of North Russell Street and Williams Avenue.

The plan includes:
  • 85 one- to three-bedroom apartments with rents restricted to people making no more than 60% of the area’s median rent;
  • 20 two-and three-bedroom homes intended to be owner-occupied and affordable to moderate income families;
  • and a 30,000-square-foot Black Business Hub, with office and retail space for Black-owned businesses and nonprofits.
...continues at the Oregonian.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 4:17 AM

This looks great. I had never realized how big that block actually is. It's 2.5x bigger than a standard Portland block. Hope the food carts and public central courtyard make the final cut.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 2:38 PM

I didn't even realize this was moving forward. Last I checked maybe a few months ago, they hadn't had a meeting in years. After the contentious start like 5 years ago (I think it was stalled over infighting over how to define who would qualify to live there. Race alone? Family history in neighborhood? etc). Maybe it was moved forward behind closed doors to keep it out of spotlight?

Hopefully it moves forward.

Almost like you can visualize a nice new state of the art middle school on the empty lot to the right in that main image...comes on PPS!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland