HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:16 PM

I’m amused by how every high rise on/surrounding 2nd and State has managed to be completely hideous.

Old Posted Today, 1:21 AM

Since we all have opinions about the Astra - I thought I would just give mine. I honestly don't understand the negativity over this building. If you think about what was there a few years ago - a Hardy's drive-in and a huge bill board. Liberty Sky use to be another downtown parking lot. Those two building and especially the Astra have upgraded that immediate area of State Street tremendously. I think this was a huge upgrade for downtown. Now, to keep things in perspective - neither of these buildings are architectural masterpieces. Especially Liberty Sky which is "meh" at best. However, I think the Astra is a great building and makes Salt Lake better. It's Ok that it is something not as grand as the Shard in London or something amazing like you see in Dubai. It is better than most buildings you will find in most any city similar in size to Salt Lake. I think that "signature" building is still coming to downtown. In the mean time - let's be happy for progress we've been making over the past 10 years. I am hoping the Entertainment District turns out some great architecture. We will see.

Old Posted Today, 2:34 AM

Speaking of the Sports Entertainment Convention and Culture District, for those of you interested, Mike Maughan from SEG is going to be on KSL News 10pm tonight to discuss the district and the new Delta Center facade.

Old Posted Today, 3:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boz View Post
None of the towers in Salt Lake give me a proper chubby, but calling those two buildings concrete slabs that block mountain views? LMAO. Overly dramatic copium.

It's what I expect when I come here. Thanks for not letting anyone down.
LOL. I'm just a fan of Salt Lake and downtown and I know, none of this matters in the scheme of bigger issues. But I personally would love to see the city encourage something NEW and creative, something you want to look for more than 10 seconds. Because, its not just Astra and Liberty Sky, its the 75+ black, brown and white, 4-story apartment complexes that surround the downtown core, where I actually forget what block I am on, because they all look the same. Luckily, we still have so many areas to develop. One day we all will get the one building that will be the iconic, signature tower that = Salt Lake City.

Old Posted Today, 4:28 AM
They all float down here

Make the Worthington the height of Astra and the Astra the height of Worthington and I would be much more content. But as is? It's a block that looks like something out of 1980s Denver (no offense to our Denver folks).

Old Posted Today, 4:55 AM
They all float down here

Old Posted Today, 5:00 AM

^^^^^

Still yawn, but eons better than the current Delta Center exterior.

Old Posted Today, 5:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Make the Worthington the height of Astra and the Astra the height of Worthington and I would be much more content. But as is? It's a block that looks like something out of 1980s Denver (no offense to our Denver folks).
Astra is effectively (aesthetically speaking) a second Church Office Building. I like both buildings the exact same amount. They are fugly and standout as white monoliths in the skyline. Like crooked teeth..

Old Posted Today, 5:15 AM

If everyone is ready to stop complaining about us getting a new tallest in Astra. Tuesday is shaping up to be a big rendering day not only IHC but detailed concept renderings if the new Delta Center and district are coming our tomorrow in detail.

Old Posted Today, 5:23 AM

I'm not going to complain about Astra. I don't think it's as bad as people say it is and the ugliest parts will, eventually, be covered by whatever is built on the former Eat a Burger site. Plus it's replacing the old Carl's Jr and it's a new tallest and it's more housing and more housing in the downtown core.

I like the Worthington.. however, I think it will probably look dated in about 20 years.

Old Posted Today, 2:58 PM
Space Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
This looks pretty bland compared to what we saw before. It seems to be intentionally inoffensive ahead of the sales tax vote.

What I mean is that they purposely moved the view closer to the DC, so Abravanel or its replacement would be out of frame, and there are no tall buildings since people seem to come out of the woodwork to oppose height increases. Also, are they planning on putting buildings on top of 300 W?

Old Posted Today, 3:28 PM

Astra

I agree totally with you mstar about Astra. Our downtown looks a lot better with Astra in it. it improved our skyline and overall is a nice looking building.
I also really like Worthington and its bronze look.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West