HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 31, 2024, 8:16 PM

i know people love paving stones and it gives the area some "charm" but the sidewalks are missing them or deteriorated with the salt/sand. I'm able bodies and wear flat shoes, couldn't imagine a female in heels or those mobility challenged.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2024, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
i know people love paving stones and it gives the area some "charm" but the sidewalks are missing them or deteriorated with the salt/sand. I'm able bodies and wear flat shoes, couldn't imagine a female in heels or those mobility challenged.
LOl..there is a road parallel to Selkirk Ave that constructed a road like that a couple of decades ago. Half of the bricks are missing. I'm under the assumption some were used as weapons.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2024, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
LOl..there is a road parallel to Selkirk Ave that constructed a road like that a couple of decades ago. Half of the bricks are missing. I'm under the assumption some were used as weapons.
That is Magnus Ave and it was a 1982 "test" of pavers for residential streets and the city has deemed it unsuccessful in a 2010 Free Press community article, but has not done anything to fix the problems i.e. repave with a different surface.

My suspicion is that the snow removal equipment caught a high spot due to frost heave and removed chunks of the pavers that were never replaced and now get a cold patch like a pothole.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2024, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
That is Magnus Ave and it was a 1982 "test" of pavers for residential streets and the city has deemed it unsuccessful in a 2010 Free Press community article, but has not done anything to fix the problems i.e. repave with a different surface.

My suspicion is that the snow removal equipment caught a high spot due to frost heave and removed chunks of the pavers that were never replaced and now get a cold patch like a pothole.
There are other streets designed the same way (some in the exchange district, that still look great. It's magnus Avenue. Kids, drunks, or even gang banger looking for a weapon (or something to throw through a window), may have pried the bricks from the street.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2024, 9:00 PM

From McDermot.

https://imgur.com/a/NpacOXb

From Lombard and Westbrook.

https://imgur.com/a/M26MpxX

Coming along nicely but man do those massive parking lots leave unfortunate gouges in the Exchange.

Well I can't seem to embed the photos, sorry for just links guys.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2024, 9:08 PM

Try adding the file extension to the link.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan