View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
^^As someone who has done post-graduate medical training at UCSF and who also receives high quality specialty care there, I am aware what an absolute gem this institution—one of America’s 5 best medical schools—is and how lucky the city is to have them here. And it seems to me that Parnassus is the right place for it, on a Muni Metro line and near the geographic center of the city (but apparently the closest major hospital to the entite western half of town).

As usual, the supervisors are being stupid and shortsighted and have their priorities wrong, probably listening to a few NIMBYs in the Parnassus Heights neighborhood and ignoring the value of the institution to the city and, indeed, the entire region...
and thank goodness that UCSF doesn't need their blessing on land use decisions. we all remember the concessions squeezed out of CPMC for their Van Ness hospital.

i'll echo that i don't think many in the city realize what a benefit it is to have a top ranked medical school and hospital right smack in the middle of the city, especially given the city's relatively small size. like many in the region, i get highly specialized care at UCSF (cardiac electrophysiology) and having world-renowned experts plus solid clinical care (literally) a few miles away is something to be incredible grateful for.

people offended by the size and bulk of a world-class hospital should move somewhere not so close to a world-class hospital.