View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
For me, it's more the height. When the SY was first proposed, I was taken in awe of seeing another great skyline proposal for Schuylkill River's western bank. Now, with another proposal for a disappointing 150+ ft tall building on 3151 Market (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=243165) plus this tower, it's no wonder why I didn't even put full stock on SY. visualizing 32nd and Market from being proposed as a breathtaking urban nexus into a very mediocre one with this proposal is highly insulting and highly underwhelming. This is what makes Hudson Yards more superior than what's even being considered for SY because the developers for HY are staying the course on what gets built rather than just plunking anything down just because it's a building for SY.

The original SY proposals was breathtaking and it did take away the funk of not seeing another mothballed proposal not getting built. It reminds me of when the Camden Waterfront project was first proposed and everybody was aghast about the proposal plus the potential of seeing Camden coming back was the talk to the town and Liberty Property Trust chopped down the height and downscaled the quality to the point where the design is very mediocre at best.

I personally believe there should be a law in which if a developer or an architect changes the design or the height of a proposed tower, then it should be put into vote again by the city council and all fees associated with licenses have to be paid again. I'd rather see an empty lot than what's currently being proposed. Everybody gets on my about the ACC but after seeing a few of these proposals, I'd rather be clamoring for a mothballed tower than a tower that's poorly conceived and designed but that's just me.

The design could fit in with Temple University or a corporate park but not close to a major downtown that Philadelphia has and I wonder whether SY could really help Philadelphia become the "Next Great City" according to National Geographic. Well, here's hoping the 2901 Arch Street - Transit Terminal Tower is a sure reality in a few years because Philadelphia's gonna need that tower!!!
All of this is very noble.

You can't force developers to build towers for tenants that don't exist.

If you care this much about adding height to the skyline, you should put all of your energy into demanding corporate tax reform in Philadelphia and PA. More than anything else, that would create demand for office space, particularly in Philadelphia.