View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I find that funny too!
In fairness, I notice that some of the Chinese-run Thai places, or the Thai places run by ethnic Chinese from Thailand, have chopsticks as well as a spoon and fork set on the table.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
So, in your view, cultural norms are only expected to be followed one way? White people (notice how you use white rather than Americans or Westerners, as if Black or Hispanic people never ask for chopsticks at Thai restaurants...) are supposed to respect that certain cultures eat with their hands, but those groups are not supposed to respect that Americans and Canadians eat with forks, knives, and spoons? I don't see anything wrong with adopting the customs of the country you're in. Shared customs help formulate national identities. I think it's ridiculous that boy's family received $17,000 because a teacher hurt his feelings by saying that the fork and spoon method is not how Canadians traditionally eat. I wish I got paid every time my feelings got hurt in elementary school!
I see nothing wrong with adopting the customs of the country you're in either, but I also don't get bent out of shape if someone prefers to do something their own way. Doesn't hurt MY feelings. So the boy ate using a spoon and fork, how is that offensive? It's not like he took both of his shoes off, put his one bare foot on his seat and then rested his elbow on his knee while eating rice with his hand. If someone did that at a restaurant, even I would find that offensive. And the boy just didn't "get his feelings hurt." He was basically being bullied by school staff over the way he eats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
White people (notice how you use white rather than Americans or Westerners, as if Black or Hispanic people never ask for chopsticks at Thai restaurants...)
Because so far I've only seen white people do it; I've yet to see Black or Hispanic people ask for chopsticks at a Thai restaurant when there's already cutlery set on the table. They usually just use the fork, and leave the spoon alone, unless they're having soup of course.

And the McDonald's coffee case wasn't a frivolous lawsuit; I learned about it from a documentary about the case. It was an old lady that was permanently disfigured. (Corporately-sponsored) Media coverage made it seem like it was a frivolous lawsuit.

Liebeck v. McDonald's Restaurants

~ Charles Bukowski

Last edited by sopas ej; Mar 31, 2023 at 10:02 PM.