View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 29, 2017, 3:28 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Maybe I missed something, but they typically don't build 200-400 ft towers with less than high end rents/condos in mind.

Yes, they are looking to make it more mixed, but like Waterfront Square, it's main draw is that it's on the Delaware, it's main drawback is that it's stuck in it's own bubble.

To create it's own neighborhood is a tough ask, especially if this is going to be built in phases. I hope they can do it, I'm just not holding my breath.
The problem here is that the Delaware has yet to prove itself as a powerful enough draw. To make things worse, there are so many competing projects in so many places on the riverfront that they essentially kill each other off. Planners tried to address that by instituting a height limit (thereby limiting a single project's market capture, which should get more projects built in any given bull phase), but between this, that Renaissance Plaza proposal, and even the thing PMC got built by the BFB, developers are clearly not caring one bit about that. And the consequence -- things aren't getting built -- is showing.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)