View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 29, 2020, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcats View Post
There is a saying, "Worry kills more than anything else." If the virus doesn't kill us - the stress will! Remember what FDR said during the depression, "The only thing to fear - is fear itself."

We can start with no one knows 100% of anything - for sure. So, everyone has their own thoughts, conclusions, opinions etc. As I have gotten older - I have increasingly become distrustful of the media. It hit me years ago - when a reporter came to me and said (his exact words), "I need a story." I need a story...like, no matter who it hurts...what is causes...I. need. a. story. Hmmmm. Have you ever opened a newspaper - now, the internet - and seen a blank page? 24/7 - the media HAS to have SOMETHING. In just three days, everyone is practicing proper precautions - precautions that I have been doing for 40 years! Then, I was not raised by the internet or T.V. I have always worried about touching things - washing my hands, etc. People would roll their eyes and think that I was being a little overkill. In just one week - everywhere you would go - the post office, etc., people are afraid to touch - anything. I have always used my feet to open the door at the post office! But, now...because the media tells people to do it - they do it. Didn't people's parents teach their kids anything while growing up?!? Or, do parents today just stick their kids in front of a T.V. or computer - and leave them to learn from that!!?!

One thing is for sure: The economy is being destroyed....along with people's lives. Please don't misunderstand me: I am NOT putting a price on people's health. Without your health - you have nothing. I just hope that within six months or so, we don't find out that this corona virus is no different than the regular flu (roughly, 60,000 die a year). Just 11 years ago, there was the Swine Flu. 20,000 Americans died. There was no shutting down of the country...the economy. Who knows for sure. Just read that Dr. Fauci thinks that 200,000 Americans might (might) die from this. Well, if he is correct - that would be worse than the regular flu. Time will tell. In the meantime, I will continue doing what I have ALWAYS done: Opening the door at the post office with my feet(with shoes on!)
Yah. The UW Institute for Health Metrics predicts the first wave will peak on April 14 in the US, and that we will have around 80k deaths (range of 40-160k, but that is with our Herculean efforts) for that wave. Once we get a vaccine/treatment, I think the economy will bounce back.