View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
no one really wants to live in cramped mid or high rise projects
You're right, that's why developers keep building them over and over and over again in Philadelphia.

I get your point that we have a bad history with high rise towers in the park public housing, but I don't think you can say the same thing about mid rises. Or if for some reason you can't have mid rises, just build dense rowhomes at the same density as the surrounding neighborhoods (ie if you absolutely have to have parking, do it with drive aisles and built in garages like other row home developments). No more surface parking. I don't get the concept that public housing has to be different than market rate housing. There is something vaguely patronizing about the idea that people in need of housing assistance can't live like their neighbors who don't need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
You just look at it and know there is no way anyone would build a market rate home with so much parking and open space
I agree - for an example, take a look at the MLK homes replacement, which looks nice but could probably be twice as dense without all of the surface parking.