View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 23, 2012, 6:46 PM

I love un-empathtic discussions. All development affects people, business and property value. We all fight for our property value. If this was "your" ( the generic you) neighnorhood I guaranty you would not be so "objective" about this. This was a property value fight plain and simple. When you move into a neighborhood you have a reasonable interest in how that neighborhood develops. DOWNTOWN IS NO DIFFERENT. It is a neighborhood. For people who are just observers it is easy to forget that and think residents downtown have less rights for some reason to protect property values.

I live in Cambridge. My view is not affected, but what affects anyones property value in my building affects mine. Having Student housing next to our building , especially built in the manor proposed would demisih my property value. Anyone would, believe me, take up the same fight. Funny this was we asked the developer if they had property value studies based on their building programs. They wouldn't answer! LOL!

There are areas near campus that are appropriate for student housing and areas that are not. This , is was argued is an area that is not. I happen to agree. As has been stated. It is in the State Complex, While there is a desire for housing, this neighborhood is better served in terms of stability by less transient residents who might actually contibute to the area. This is in an area that is being touted as a muesum district. There is much better use of that land. Lets get into proximity. They were proposing to build in such a way that exterior space would have been closer to existing property than any where in west Campus. ( yes really). Parking, they were not building enough spaces for all the residents. They were also so arrogant as to come to a meeting with neighboring residences with no idea of how thier development would impact our aminities area. They basically really didn;t care to play good neighbor. SO they get what they get.

Skip that. You are on an architectual forum for Christ sake. This was suburban apartment construction at its worse being built in the CBD! That should offend you enough. Yes , they had initial renderings at their presentation. It was awful. You should be up in arms for that.

Height. You need to be fully aware that lot is in one of the most cherised views in Austin . If you don't care about that, I invite you to leave Austin. I won't miss you. They were within the CVC. However, what no one has really looked at until now, it that, the height restrictions protect the view from the steps of the tower to the capitol. But any where below that.. including the fountain and all of University Drive, would have the Capitol cut off. Worse the view of the Capitol.... and all photographs from here on out would have had said crappy apt building..... rather, dorm.

So there are many reasons that an interested party in the development of the CBD, The Capitol Complex and the Museum district should be concerned even if you don't have empathey for the affected neighbors.

An office building or Condo would be great.

BTW... one branch of the State gov wants to dump this and another wants to keep it. Somehow Perry decided to change his mind this year and not object to the sale. We have severl Rebup officials in the building who are scratching their heads at this.

BTW ... as long as I am putting my neck out here. It also made me laugh that said Republicans who are suppose to be all about property owners rights were the first to fight this proposal. Stange bedfellows indeed!

Fire away!