Thread: Light Rail Boom
View Single Post
Old Posted May 6, 2010, 10:43 AM
Greetings from New Jersey

Cities like Denver , St. Louis , & Portland are great examples on how a smaller system can produce alot positive results. Denver & Portland seem to be expanding at the same speed atm. St. Louis has the backing of the majority of the region. The one thing that LRT does do in every place its built , is attract investors. I think Denver will one day have a system as dense as Boston's. Its not really a question of if it will happen , but when it will happen. In 30 years , i think almost every city in the us will have a Streetcar , Light Rail or Regional Rail station within its borders. Our Country over the past 20 years has slowly gone back to the original days of Streetcars and Regional systems. LRT & any kind of Urban / Suburban molded rapid transit system is our future. Not Highways and roads which have proved nothing but stressful and environmentally damaging. Most of the Northeast plans to rebuild our systems over the next 20 years. So one day in 20 years , you can hope on a Train in Bangor,ME and travel down to Allentown ,PA on various routes. Many cities are planning to build or restore streetcar or light rail service. The Midwest is not that far behind the Northeast , although alot more work needs to be done.