View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 16, 2020, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayorOfChicago View Post
I looked a bit and I can't find any other city still running at rush hour services except Chicago. During the nice weather I was out in our park almost all day and every single bus I saw go by on Irving Park road had a max of 0-3 people on board.

I go downtown to my office once a week and I actually got stuck on LaSalle because of traffic. People are parking on the sides of the street now and there's really only one solid lane down LaSalle. There is such a crush of rush hour buses still coming down that traffic was backed up pretty bad, and it looked crazy because it was all buses.

I look every time at every bus and I actually never saw more than 2 people on any of the dozens of large accordian or regular buses on LaSalle or passing on any side street. Many of the buses didn't even have their interior lights on because they were never going to have any passengers anyway.

I can see the blue line and hear it from my house, it runs constantly and I never see anyone really on any of the trains.

From a pollution and usage standpoint it's kinda insane they are running as much as they can at this point - almost all entirely empty.
I don't know what the city is saying about this, but it makes no sense to me. CTA announced it expects a $551 mil shortfall this year ($1 bil for all of RTA). The federal government is providing some support, but this shortfall will go on past this year. They need to be thinking long term about how stretch the resources

Last edited by VKChaz; Apr 16, 2020 at 8:59 PM.