View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 13, 2015, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
True. But where Richard Allen sits is an up and coming area that is or will be soon attractive to developers. Further, its low density means that the neighborhood could support double or even triple the amount of people living there now. If it were up to me, I would raze the homes to the ground and then rebuild the neighborhood from scratch with a mixture of rowhomes and midrise buildings. Everyone living there now would be resettled within the new development and all the extra units would be sold at market rate value. The end result is a new, mixed income neighborhood that doesn't displace anyone. It would also fully realize the connection of Temple U to CC.
...which is almost exactly the opposite of what happened with Nehemiah. High density public housing was razed and low density, affordable housing installed, and people who were renting in the high density projects were given the opportunity to own property in the low density neighborhood. From what I read, the hope was that this nicer setting would radiate goodness to the area around it - however, the benefits seemed to only exist within that development. Seemed. People who grew up in the worst projects in Philadelphia were able to raise their kids in a safer, more stable environment, and my neighbors kids were college grads.

To take the rest of the nearby Richard Allen homes and push them towards higher density again seems, to me, like a step in the wrong direction.