View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 2, 2022, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
Am I looking at something different then everyone else? It’s literally podiums on a tower similar to the “Vancouverism” style that many places in the planet start to emulate which is a highrise on top of a 5-6 storey midrise podium. TV respectfully I think you’re misconstruing the massing of the master plan as if it were presented as a render when that’s clearly not the objective of that drawing.

Not only that but where are these parking lots y’all are seeing? I think people here are critically underestimating just how dense it is. Again this is on a scale of density that would fit in Chengdu or Manila never mind Winnipeg. Even the master plan shows a high concentration of building density throughout the whole site. I’m a lot more optimistic about this then the Kapyong Barracks development to say the least.
I think people here are severely overestimating how much space there is between Sifton Rd. and Markham. 6 major multi-use residential high-rises will feel very dense, even if they leave room for some trees and lawn in front of one or two of the buildings, as shown in the bird's eye rendering.

and as much as the U of M deserves some criticism for Smart Park being a lame industrial park, the actual U of M campus actually is pretty walkable. Campus just suffers because Winnipeg is such a commuter city that much like Downtown Winnipeg, all the stores, restaurants and services on campus close at like 5PM when the entire campus population gets in their cars and drives back home.

This development adding 2,000 to 3,000 units actually within walking distance of campus will do so much good for campus life. Unlike student developments being built on Pembina, this development will actually be within realistic walking distance of the school.