View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrdoSeclorum View Post
Some people want want the city to work for them, at the expense of others. You come here and make a big noise, but when the rubber meets the road, the choices you make expose your motivations. In various comment sections complaining about taxes you may receive plaudits. In Chicago (or even New York, for that matter) you should take care that your exurban trappings and affect do not make you the subject of fun.

You're moving to a town where intrusive regulation makes it illegal to build to the sidewalk. And there's so little respect for property rights that I can't build an apartment building there. Or even open a store!
You are completely ignoring the fact that the city is broke, and the only option is to continue to squeeze those with money.
As a quick real life example, here are the property taxes I've paid over the last several years:

2013 Tax Year: $24K
2014 Tax Year: $26K
2015 Tax Year: $29K
2016 Tax Year: $34K
2017 Tax Year: $38K
2018 Tax Year: $41K

***Anticipated Tax Bill by 2022: $56K

Keep in mind there has been no increase in value of my home, yet the taxes have essentially DOUBLED.

Also keep in mind, that the problems with Pensions, and other state/city obligations have not been fixed, in fact, they will continue to get worse. Guess where the money will have to come from? PROPERTY TAXES

Also keep in mind that CPS is a shit show, and basically private school is the best option (especially at the High School level) so on top of the Property Tax bill, I'll spend another 20K (at minimum).

I grew up in New York City, and have spent 32 of my 36 years on earth either in NYC (all in Manhattan) or City of Chicago + 4 years in Ann Arbor; this isn't about City vs. Suburbs or whatever nonsense you want to spew.

Bottom line: the City of Chicago is broken, and I'm not going to be on the hook to continue to throw money at a problem that will not be fixed.

If it was up to me, i'd move back to NYC, but at the end of the day Family is more important that being able to build to my lot line.