View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 16, 2021, 5:07 PM

Although the Parkway system, mostly built during the City Beautiful movement and the era of cars, cuts off a large portion of our waterfront, I'm not too annoyed with them. They provide greenspace and plenty of pathways for cycling and walking. They were built in a time that such parkways were considered good urban planning. Not to say that we shouldn't revisit some of them, but we should or could have focused on different areas.

Lansdowne to me was a major lost opportunity. Such an important entertainment area in our city should have access to the Rideau Canal. A pedestrian bridge with access to Pig Island, removing the Queen E. Parkway between Bank and Princess Patricia Way or just giving pedestrians safe crossings and maybe a few docks for small watercrafts.

The NCC is slowly upgrading the public realm along the Sir John A. Parkway, which is great. I'm very happy with what they've done and planned so far.

Zibi is of course our greatest chance to have a true waterfront community. Such an amazing project. One that will truly change the face of Ottawa.