View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 24, 2022, 3:09 PM

Full article: https://sfyimby.com/2022/08/new-plan...francisco.html

Quote:
New Plans For 655 4th Street Skyscrapers In SoMa, San Francisco
BY: ANDREW NELSON 5:30 AM ON AUGUST 24, 2022

New plans have been filed for two 39-story towers at 655 4th Street in SoMa, San Francisco. The plans, drafted by architecture firm SCB, represent a significant shift from the previously-approved design by Bjarke Ingels Group for four swooping towers. Tishman Speyer is the project developer.

The two 400-foot tall towers will yield a combined 1.144 million square feet, with 1.135 million square feet for housing, 9,450 square feet for retail, and 7,740 square feet for a Privately Owned Public Open Space or POPOS. Parking will be included for 283 cars and 427 bicycles.

The new proposal will provide more dwellings, with 1,148 apartments. Unit sizes will vary with 287 studios, 415 one-bedrooms, 409 two-bedrooms, and 46 three-bedrooms. A total of 138 private balconies will be spread across the two towers.

Solomon Cordwell Buenz is responsible for the design. Renderings show the basic massing for two towers rising from 11-story podiums, divided by an open-air balcony. The project will include new trees along 4th Street and Townsend and an open-air landscaped plaza at the very corner, functioning as the project’s POPOS. Retail shops will encircle the plaza.

The architecture firm will have to contend with the Central SoMa Plan. Among the design requirements, the preliminary project application document dictates that “the Project architecture should substantially differentiate the expression of the two towers, including but not limits to height, bulk, modulation, and architectural expression… They should each add a distinct character to the skyline.”

Compare to the former Bjarke Ingels Group-designed proposal:

Undeniably a step down, but I'll wait for more detailed renders to fully judge. I'm no fan of Bjarke and his studio so I'm not mourning the loss of the old design too much, even if it was better than this massing. Mostly just hoping at least one Central SoMa tower proposal actually gets built.