View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 31, 2023, 5:35 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
Agreed...beyond a certain size space is a problem. You have to heat it and maybe cool it. It has to be vacuumed and kept in repair. And it would feel so empty. And that giant yard might take constant maintenance. I wouldn't want a house period (seeing the vast money and time friends and family put into theirs), but a big house sounds so much worse.
I don't think its the horror that people describe it as.

Say you have close to 4000 sq-ft of home to take care of. Somethings, are given. The living room can stay clean if you keep it clean and not throw food on the ground or just being careful if you eat there.

Bedrooms, same thing. Make the bed. If you have carpet, vacuum once every two weeks.

If you keep the space clean via daily practices, just being hygienic, even with minimal effort, its not a lot of work.

Bathrooms, depending on how many you use, clean once every three weeks. So long as one isn't a slob, its not that bad.

Not being a slob to begin with will minimize the amount of preventative cleaning or maintenance.

Dining room or guest rooms, again, cleaned in the beginning, assuming not that frequent of usage, should be easy to maintain.

It could also be how much of a clean freak one is. Some folks NEED to clean every week, due to their mental illness of OCD... but others, clean once a month because they are not slobs in daily discourse.

A 3000-4000 sq-ft house is not hard to maintain.

Now with landscaping, that's the one thing that can be annoying, so either contract it out (cutting grass, maintenance) or spend a few hours (get some exercise as well doing landscaping tasks... think of it as being in shape). People over exaggerate the big house lifestyle. Its not that complicated. I know because I have a big house. Its pretty clean and I don't slave away at it. Just about being efficient that's all and preventative maintenance and practices.

Likewise with the kitchen. Spending that extra 5 minutes cleaning the environment where one cooked can save a lot of time. Placing dishes immediately into the dish washer is a good practice. Also trying not to spill things on floor. Doing that will save hours versus someone who does none of that, waits a month and than needs 4 hours to clean a kitchen because they let it go.

And if you have a partner or wife or husband, help them out. Will speed it up. Work as a team to work less and enjoy more house and not cleaning.