View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 12:27 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Investing In Chicago View Post
I think we are on the same page...For me, the why here why now is I live in the neighborhood, but I strongly dislike the demoing of our historic building stock throughout the city. I understand the flyover is a project that serves the greater good of the city, and I think removing the buildings is justified here. What upsets me more is the crap we are more than likely going to see replace these buildings in the coming years.
The biggest problem I actually have is with buildings that used to have excellent bones and could have been easily restored back to their previous glorious state, but due to decades of terrible ownership and lack of any maintenance whatsoever, they've deteriorated to the point that they've all but demolition targets in today's day and age. Still plenty of buildings along Clark and other nearby streets in the area that fit this description, unfortunately.

If only there were reasonable ways for cities to ensure that property owners had the resources and finances to keep their properties properly maintained. The horrific shape of so many of these once-beautiful buildings is simply not acceptable.

Aaron (Glowrock)