View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 5, 2023, 12:07 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbao58 View Post
In 1971 (Yep. I’m an old timer), when my dad came home and said we were moving to Toronto, I was, like: What’s a Toronto? I knew about Vancouver because my mom grew up in Everett, WA and always told us she hated Seattle but loved Vancouver. I knew about Montreal because of the Expos and Expo ‘67… I thought Fuller’s geodesic dome and Safdie’s Habitat were totally cool… but Toronto? Had no idea.

Also, the whole “Americans knew nothing about Canada while Canadians knew more than they wanted to about the States” thing was something I heard all the time even then. Also Canadians were always expecting the US to invade Canada at any moment. Oh, and the Canadian Falls were better than the American, of course.

ETA: Just remembered that the first half of 8th grade history was US history. It wasn’t until the second half that we got to Canadian history.
Interesting you should bring that up. Never understood why American history should get so much attention in Canadian public schools, in some parts of the country at least.