View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 16, 2021, 4:58 PM

I agree with much of what has been said here about the apparent lack of eagerness of so-called "English Canadians" to learn another language, but I will point out another part of the issue.
I live in Edmonton, supposedly a part of English Canada. I see from the Census Profile from the 2016 Census of Canada that pretty near a full third of the folks hereabouts speak languages other than English as their mother tongues. Of the other two thirds at least some speak other languages and I am sure that in total at least 40 percent of us speak more than one language.
There is nothing new about this; it has always been this way. There does not seem to me that there is much institutionalized distinction between Anglophone and Allophone as there seems to be elsewhere. Unfortunately I risk offending some by suggesting that the French language is not given the priority among non English languages that others feel it deserves. I am sorry.
In short I agree that many of us do not study other languages as we ought. However, we might not be as badly off as we think.