View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 16, 2021, 2:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Can't really dictate things like this.

One of the most popular Netflix series was Emily in Paris - an American moving to France to work in that city. That makes sense, right? Maybe this will increase the appeal of Paris, France, and French in English-speaking territories! Except the whole series is essentially American exceptionalism; Emily refuses to learn French and decides that French people are wrong and weird in everything they do.

Lupin did more for French and France, I guess, but these things don't really have a tangible impact in really making people want to learn the language. English will dominate.

Canadian programming should probably default be subtitled in both official languages similar to how a lot of Asian programs feature prominent subbing in multiple languages, but I doubt we have the workforce to make this available. re: French-language training, NB routinely recruits sub-standard teachers from Quebec because Canada's only bilingual province lacks French-language teachers. I doubt CBC can hire a multitude of people to ensure every program is subbed correctly.
If there aren't enough Canadians who know French available for the job, maybe Francophones from other parts of the world could be used for the task, whether through outsourcing or migration. Of course, this should only be resorted to if it is not possible to viably hire natives who know French.

But I really don't think this would be too hard to do. CBC could have an office in Montreal dedicated to the task.