View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 1:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Not true. Princeton is a short, direct train ride from Manhattan. There is no direct train from Princeton to Philly. That would be a difficult commute.

Princeton is actually the busiest suburban station in the NJ transit system. And the Princeton Dinky, the train directly to campus, is timed to trains arriving from NYC. It's a huge commuter town. One of my colleagues teaches at Princeton and lives near Union Square in Manhattan.

Granted, it would be pretty easily to live in the parts of Philly MSA and commute to parts of the NY MSA, and vice-versa. So a Princeton professor could live in, say, Bucks County, PA and easily get to work. But from Center City, or the Main Line, it would be quite difficult. And by transit, almost impossible.

There is a 35min train ride from Center City to PCJ on Amtrak. Used to have better frequency pre-COVID.

Train aside, I know a quite a few people who live in Fishtown and work in Pharma up there and simply drive - it's about 40min or so w/out crazy traffic and comparable to a commute from CC out to King of Prussia. Philly suburbs like Yardley are just across the river.

Geographically, it's closer to Philly and it's in the Philly media market which, to me, is a more culturally relevant barometer in 2021 than old-fashioned commuting pattern MSA models especially post-COVID. There are more Eagles flags than Giants flags. Just pointing out that's it not quite as black and white; and another example of power of the NYC vortex as it relates to Philly.