View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 25, 2009, 10:57 PM
is watching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
There are dozens of Loblaw's stores (i.e. Superstore, Extra Foods, Real Canadian Wholesale Club, and No Frills) in and around Saskatchewan so it brings distribution closer to a number of their locations. Don't be surprised if we get a Wal-Mart Distribution center in the future. There are plenty of locations in Saskatchewan to warrant one.
How big is the existing Loblaws Distribution centre in Saskatoon? I remember reading that Loblaws was going to shut down the Saskatoon facility by spring 2010 or so when the Regina facility opens, and lay the 300 staff there off. (edit - found the article here - although when the article was written, Loblaws hadn't yet decided on the location of the new Saskatchewan distribution centre )

The one in Saskatoon was a company (Loblaws) owned facility, the new Regina centre is actually owned and operated by a third party under contract I think - like Wal-mart does.

I wonder how the new Regina Loblaws distribution centre compares in size to the ones in Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton and Winnipeg?

I could see a Wal-Mart distribution centre for groceries open up in the same area in Regina too - as more Supercenters are rolled out. Wal-Mart is building their first grocery distribution center in Western Canada in Airdrie, AB right now - 400,000 sq.ft.

Last edited by craneSpotter; Oct 25, 2009 at 11:14 PM.