View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 10, 2022, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
Toronto feels like it got capped in the knees while running a marathon.

2019 was a great year in Toronto. Not only did the Raptors win the championship, but 2019 felt like the culminating year of the great 2010s' boom which had been very favourable to our city. There were all these exciting restaurants and events. Downtown had more people in it than ever in our history and they were all out on the streets livening things up. And then 1 year later all of that was lost.

Now we pay 28% more to live in a city where many storefronts are empty and a lot of those that aren't empty got turned into Cannabis dispensaries which have terrible streetfront presence.

Toronto suffered a lot because we had a very strict, very long lockdown. Aside from mask mandates, there have been capacity limits to dining and events of some kind pretty much from the beginning until now.

If you're considering visiting Toronto this year, I'd personally hold off. I think it will bounce back, but it's going to take some time and right now the city is not very flattering. Don't forget that, more than any other city in North America, Toronto needs people on the streets to feel big. We don't have the architectural brawn that will make exploring empty streets worthwhile.
I think Toronto this summer will have a lot of pent up energy to release. I was in the city last weekend and went out for the first time since Covid restrictions were removed. There were line-ups at all the usual popular bars in freezing weather. I imagine it will only improve when patios open up, Jays games are back at full capacity, The CNE is back, etc.