View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 1:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
Do you think Fulton County parking requirements are the over-riding code in downtown Atlanta? Can you not think of one example where fewer parking spots than this were built? Can you understand that some of us think a car-centric development in the heart of the city, next to the busiest transit station in the region is not appropriate? If WRS can't make the economics of this work without 3,500 parking spots, then it's not an appropriate design in the first place.
This is what I think and I apologize in advance for being frank and this is not a personal attack on you.

The Five Points MARTA is a shit hole - the Underground is a shit hole. Trust me, I worked in the Centennial Building for two years and took MARTA from Buckhead to the Five Points station daily. If I left work after 6:00 PM I would cab or Uber home because that area is dangerous. Therefore, I feel if some developer is willing (dumb enough) to invest $400 Million in this area (God Bless them) and I could give (2) or (3) shits whether they built 3,500 or even 10,000 parking spaces. I would just kindly ask they make them look pretty and have ground floor retail.

My question(s) to you:
Outside of NYC or Chicago, can you point to a development/city that has built a project of this size and scope without a similar ratio of parking? Again, I like to come from a place of facts because I believe that is the standard we should hold the developer to and it is also what banks look at when deciding if they will fund a project.

Also, what were you thoughts on Midtown's Wholefoods' project and the parking podium and whether it activates the street(s)? I want to understand if you have a consistent standard with respect to development/grocery stores in Atlanta because this is how city codes are written (based on consistent standards).

Thanks.