View Single Post
Old Posted May 24, 2019, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
^
I dunno. I think blaming things like this on city wage and business taxes is too easy. IMO, the Philly-metro suburbs have very good infrastructure and very large business parks are located next to large communities and also within a 30-45 minute drive. So, you have people with skillset ready to fill the required positions of these companies that want to remain in the burbs. And, REITs still maintain and promote these business parks in the burbs. No matter how you cut it, it is still an attractive options for large companies to stay in the burbs in this metro area. This is a complex issues and no one size fits all answer will mitigate what we think we know.
I don't disagree with many of your points. Speaking from direct experience, it's actually harder recruiting in the burbs than the city. But with that said, if you look at many of those large suburban Philly companies they have large offices inside OTHER cities, but not inside Philly. The combination of Philly taxes and the governance of the city turn off many companies from being located in the city -- fair or not, that is a huge factor in why many companies choose our burbs over the city.