View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 5, 2008, 11:07 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
I'm sorry but this is following the usual San Francisco path--the most boring, routine, uninspired design will win. I imagine the Kenwood team is winning because of 2 things: political connections (the group involved with Treasure Island certainly has that) "financial ability to complete the project" which Boston Properties does, indeed, have. But their proposal--with block upon block of uniform boring midrise housing does nothing at all for me. If nothing else, it'll look as tragically mediocre as the rest of Mission Bay--and like the rest of Mission Bay, it'll give me or anyone else who doesn't live or work there no reason whatever to visit that part of town.

Northbay, I can't wait to hear about your trips from Santa Rosa to use that "negative (i.e. wasted) space".

PS: "The panel lauded the Giants' plan for its emphasis on open space and recreation. It questioned the designs large number of retail and entertainment venues." It's the large number of retail and entertainment venues that are precisely what I like about it. It would be an exciting new place to spend time near the waterfront. The panel likes the Kenwood design for evoking "a San Francisco neighborhood feel"--in other words it's just like everywhere else in our little boutique paradise.
You are right on the money BT! The open space would definitely NOT be wasted but would be treasured for many uses and reasons. The music hall is also an excellent idea--it's a facility that is greatly needed in SF plus it will serve the needs of UCSF.

After what happened with the Transbay competition, we should take nothing for granted or feel overly relaxed about this project at this time.