View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 22, 2021, 6:36 PM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
How different does the inner city look compared to 10 years ago in y’all’s eyes?
Saskatoon has had a great downtown core for a number of years (My boundaries of that "core" would be 1st Ave., the river, 20th, and 25th). River Landing combined with River Centre and Remai has extended it past 20th so that the river is now the south and east boundary of downtown.

The refresh of Midtown was long over due and it has tied downtown and 20th street west of Idylwyld together. Saskatoon's downtown outside of the core section has far too many "dead zones", either because of surface parking lots or street frontages that do not interact with the pedestrian environment.

I have three items on my wish list for the continued growth of DT S'toon:
  • Fill in the parking lots to the north and south of Midtown (small ya later Toys "R" Us; downtown arena anyone???)
  • Transform Idylwyld from a car-centric stroad to a complete street that serves pedestrians, transit, and SOVs equally
  • Redevelop the Central Industrial area (remove the CPR switching yards, no more DT trains; provide housing to polytech students; connect Caswell Hill to the river and downtown)