View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 2:39 AM
Torontonian Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
I remember the car my father drove when I was a child. To think this was a "step-up" from the standard sedan back in the day

1987 Mercury Topaz
My cousin inherited a 1989 Ford Tempo from her grandfather. She said she "feared for her life" on a drive from Ottawa to Toronto, apparently the thing didn't like freeways. They sold it for scrap value when the pathetic 3-speed automatic transmission failed for the third time in 130,000 kilometres.

My parents' 1995 Taurus wasn't much better, damn head gasket blew before 100,000 kilometres and wrecked the engine. Pretty much all the 3.8L Essex engines had this problem. Some family friends had a Taurus sedan with the 3.0L Vulcan V6, which was a damn fine unit, but the AXOD-4 automatic transmission it was attached to cooked itself just shy of 150,000 kilometres, despite getting a full fluid flush at 96,000 like it was supposed to. Aside from the bulletproof Crown Vic, there was a long period where Ford couldn't make a decent car to save their lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Mazdas and skylines represent!
I love the 1st-gen Mazda6 hatchback, pity our American friends didn't. Overall, you can thank them for the poor selection of vehicles we get up here (and the lack of diesel engines). The new 6 looks quite nice, by the way; typical superb chassis and it can apparently do around 7.5L/100km in the city. But no hatch option