View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 9, 2022, 9:49 PM
TL;DR

^ Like I said a few posts ago, it won't be everyone's cup of tea but that doesn't mean it won't be lively or successful. Plenty of people like going to Rosemont, I don't feel the need to sneer at them. I think a better comparison for LY is Gallagher Way at Wrigley - still very normie white Big Ten culture but at least the urban design is decent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0 View Post
Is the Kingsbury rail r.o.w. still in play? If I recall correctly running a surface line to Northwetern and Union stations on an existing belt line was supposed to provide transit access to the Yards.
Haven't heard anything about the North Branch Transitway (per se) in a few years so I'm guessing it'll end up on the shelf like so many other transit plans. It's pretty clear that this, like many other things, was a Rahm priority that Lightfoot doesn't care about.

However, the city did reach an agreement in 2020 with Chicago Terminal Railroad for an "interim trail use" and approved by the Feds. Technically it applies to the whole corridor, but more likely we will only see a trail on the east-west bit parallel to Cortland which will become the 606 extension. Sterling Bay has agreed to build and maintain this part of the trail on behalf of the city so there is very much money behind it.

The longer north-south bit through General Iron site and Goose Island is in limbo. Parts of the line run through private property and those owners would very much like the freedom to develop their land without a rail track through the middle. The law allows the ROW to be restored for rail service or trails, but a busway is neither of those things and might not legally be allowed without consent from the landowners.