View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 7:19 PM

^Awesome find...

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmontonenthusiast View Post
Something similar happened to me yesterday downtown. I was about taking pictures then some security guards said, "Can you please not take any more pictures please?" What I was taking pictures of was the TELUS Plaza - a major Edmonton office building. On the site they have a small plaza, and I was around the edge of the plaza/beginning of the sidewalk. Any who they told me to stop taking pictures. It's so retarded because I was outside, and had I been on the sidewalk they wouldn't have said anything. Not to mention it's a plaza, sure it's "TELUS" property, but isn't that public space...like a park? It's like saying you can't take pictures in the park because it is owned by the City. I wonder if they would have gotten mad had I took pictures of other buildings from the plaza. Ugh - that's the first time that's happened to me. Probably had I gone during the day there wouldn't have been a problem because there never is. This I've heard happen in Vancouver, Portland, Calgary, and Edmonton - now it's happened to me. I don't even think it was against the law and it's not like I was doing anything criminal - I was just taking photographs of a skyscraper. I think Canada has similar laws to the ones you posted there. I will have to do a bit of research. But it is dumb. Photographer's have rights.
Well, that depends. Typically the plaza may reside on private property, even if the public has access to it. And if it is private property, then they do have the ability to forbid you from taking pictures. The solution is go out to the public sidewalk or across the street when told to stop. However, if the plaza was transferred to public ownership from a development agreement with the municipality; then it would be the same as a public park. Bottom line though is that public access does not necessarily mean public space. When in doubt, stay within a few feet from the street if a problem arises.