View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 7, 2020, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
So this is pretty interesting:

Booth Hansen/LMN Architects

https://news.uillinois.edu/view/7815/807140#image-1
(article is from March 12, 2020, before Covid shutdown)

The new Computer Design Research and Learning Center at UIC

"The University of Illinois Board of Trustees on Thursday took steps to advance important capital projects at two U of I System universities.

Trustees approved a $117.8 million budget for the new Computer Design Research and Learning Center at the University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC).

The 125,000-square-foot facility will be the new home of the university’s Department of Computer Science and will be designed to meet LEED Gold certification standards for environmental sustainability.

The new center will include a 1,200-square-foot robotics lab, 16,000 square feet of classroom space, and the interdisciplinary Electronic Visualization Laboratory (EVL). The EVL has developed and commercialized high-performance visualization and virtual reality systems such as the CAVE2 hybrid virtual reality environment employed by NASA in its ENDURANCE under-ice robotic exploration in the Antarctic."

I know this was part of UIC's long-term master plan, but the rendering is new to me, and I don't think it was ever posted here before. I like the design, personally.

I know that UIC has raised over $550 million of it's $750 million fundraising goal, in only about 2 or so years...not sure how Covid is impacting giving, but who knows?
I dig it. Anyone know when the UIC Performing Arts Center breaks ground?