View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 27, 2020, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMDelon View Post
Hey everyone I am new to the group and have been reading your post for awhile and decided to join. I am born and raised here in the Valley and it's pretty cool to see the development during the last 5 years. I am still a little confused on why Phoenix has such a small downtown with such a big population. I know some of it has to do with the airport and some due to height restrictions. Things like urban sprawl plays a part to but it's still very surprising when I visit cities like Austin, Denver, and Seattle to see the difference in the skyline and downtown development. What do y'all feel needs to happen for our downtown to catch up?
I'm also a native and I used to wonder the same thing. Then I learned that Phoenix used to have a vibrant downtown. A long series of bad decisions, lack of vision, outright civic vandalism, and just plain bad luck over the course of 50+ years left us with the huge redevelopment project we have now. Fortunately, things have turned around and downtown has come a long way in the past 20 years. It still has a long way to go but the trend is looking up.

Many people on this forum don't like this blog, but it's as complete a history as you'll find: https://www.roguecolumnist.com/rogue...wn-part-i.html